Tech 2...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a guy selling one on pt.net for 500 obo

Thank you but mine was purchased before seeing your message. Hopefully someone else can take advantage of that offer.

You don't need a laptop hooked up unless you are programming and you shouldn't need to have it hooked up to the vehicle to get it to boot up without error. I assume the CANdi error is during boot up?

Check the connection between the cable that hooks to the Tech 2 and the CANdi. I had issues with that. I used a tiny flat blade screwdriver to bend the contacts a little in each of the holes of the connector to make a good connection. It worked fine for me after that.

Finally had occasion today to hook it up to my truck but no joy. The Tech2 passes all tests as does the CANdi with the loopback connector attached. Incidently, the part numbers on my car adapter and loopback adapter are reversed. However, when I attach the connector to hook up to the truck, the CANdi is no longer seen by the Tech2 and I can get nowhere. Green light slow flashing at all times there is power.

Sent an email to the seller but wonder if you have any other ideas? Checked my pins too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was able to get the CANdi to be recognized by the Tech2 and read powertrain but trying to test the speakers did not work at all. All of the pins on the connectors look good but seem to be having connection issues if I move around in seat or move CANdi around.

While the Tech2 powers up only connected to the ALDL, it couldn't do anything until I used the cigar lighter adapter for power. Also started the engine first and then got the Tech2 going.

Any suggestions on any topic?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still having issues. The company it was purchased from, we're having language difficulties it seems. He keeps insisting all is well if CANdi self test works. It does when the TECH2 recognizes it. Most of the time the TECH2 does not see it, or it goes away if I move too much.

If I wanted to see the heated seats for example, would I have the cigar lighter attached and the engine running to check this? I was having trouble viewing Body and Chassis in my Yukon and Montana but could see everything or just about in the Powertrain section.

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are having the same issue I was with the cable and the connection to the CANdi. I'll see if I can get some pics of what I did to fix the issue. It is not on the pins side of the connection. I modified the female side of the connector. Mine needs to be "done" again. I'm thinking that it may be possible to accomplish this a different way that is hopefully more permanent. I'll let you know.

You only need the power adapter hooked-up when it is not attached to the OBD-II port.

When you say having trouble viewing body and chassis, what behavior are you seeing? Ultimately, what are you attempting to do? I'll see if I can replicate what you want to do with mine.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the help Mark! The Chinaman is not answering my emails anymore it seems. Will try again tomorrow and post for you to replicate or assist with. Thanks!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CANdi is not recgonized at all anymore by the TECH2. Doesn't matter which car it seems. The light slowly beeps green and you can hear clicks but that is it. When I go to bypass mode I can see the parameters but cannot read them. Through the CANdi, it says there is no CANdi now. Before the TECH2 would see the CANdi but when wanting to look at certain screens it would say no CANdi attached.

Let's see what the Chinaman says unless you can offer some more advice.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still trying. Went back to basics and installed loopbacks and powered it up on my kitchen table. CANdi works every time. I wonder if it is not the OBDII connector or maybe even my own connector on my truck now!

Curiously, the loopback and OBDII connectors are stamped with the opposite part numbers. Do you have that? The OBDII says GM 30000109 and VTX 02002953

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. Going back to basics. What autos do you have access to? My Escalade is the only thing I own that requires the CANdi. The other 2 GM products I own are 2005 MY and don't. If you can, try using the unit on a pre 2007 auto without the CANdi hooked up and see if you can get in and view data. I am just trying to identify which piece doesn't work.

I wish we were closer, I'd try mine to see if it works on your autos and if my CANdi works with your T2, etc... I am in Maryland :-/

I will look at the stampings. However, as this thing is a clone, I never bothered to look that closely as it is all made up anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts