Tank's '02 Z71 Tahoe Rescue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the mostly finished dash and door panels. The RR panel still has a shale armrest until I can find a graphite one, and I need the gray bezels for both rear window switches. The bottom dash came out of an '05, hence the gap with the center console. I have all but one gray panel (I think) for an '03 console to put in.
20180429_183115_640x480.jpg 20180429_183141_640x480.jpg 20180429_183151_640x480.jpg 20180429_183203_640x480.jpg

I also installed some cheapo wind deflectors from Amazon. The whole set including the sunroof one was around $40, but I wouldn't recommend it, they're probably not going to last the summer. I think I'll pick up the AVS brand to replace them in a few months.

20180429_191752_640x480.jpg

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
The front tan plastic and carpet that's left to change out isn't going to happen until I get the new seats ready. I pulled the leather back off of one of the Denali seats tonight and tore it. Next time I'll clean and treat the driver's side one to try to save the skin. I have a spare shale back skin, so I think the panels could be sewn into the ripped Denali ones (for when I get around to selling them on eBay).

I checked the door and seat harnesses on the '02 Z71 donor truck, and they don't have the connectors to just bolt in the 8-way power seats from the Denali (so I assume mine doesn't either). I pulled the door harnesses from the Denali, the driver harness had the mirror plug cut off (easily remedied), and I'll try to go back this weekend and get the body harness and rear seat heaters. The salvage yard is getting in an '04 Suburban this week, and I have first dibs on the interior parts. :thumbsup:

Tip/PSA: Guys, if your girls know anything about cars, send them to the salvage yard for you first and meet them after an hour or so. The parts will be cheaper and maybe even pulled and ready to load when you get there. We're like unicorns, everyone (including other customers) come over to watch me work, offer to help, and I always get a way better price than my fiancé or guy friends. But be sure to do something romantic for them in return. We have smaller muscle structure and wear out faster than you do, and we're not going to admit it (we can't beat you in the whining game anyway), so a hot bath and a back rub will probably get you some...dedicated time...later. Plus, helping/teaching/learning from your woman is very empowering to her, and I hope you all have had the benefit of an encounter with your lady when she's totally happy and in love with you.... Just saying.:emotions33: Alternatively, if you have a teenage daughter, son, niece, nephew, neighbor kid, etc., take them with you and teach them. Be patient and let them troubleshoot, even if you know the better answer. You will help them to build knowledge, experience, and confidence. I wouldn't be who I am without my grandfather, father, ex-boyfriends, and others pushing me to be capable and confident. They may not appreciate it now, but they will remember it and be better for it later in life.

So a post on another forum ('17+ console swap in a NNBS) has me intrigued.... The wiring shouldn't be much of an issue, but does anyone know whether it will fit and look right? I'm thinking it will be higher to function as an armrest, which I like, also the 110v plugs and wireless charging are awesome. Physically, does anyone know of any cons on the newer console? The salvage yards within 200 miles (casual driving distance in Texas) have them for less than $200. Any thoughts? Any links to pics installed in an NBS? I'm still thinking about modding the rear of the '03 console, but I feel like I'm just making that one work even though it's not really what I want. I haven't pinned down what I really want yet though, so off-the-wall suggestions are welcome.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The front tan plastic and carpet that's left to change out isn't going to happen until I get the new seats ready. I pulled the leather back off of one of the Denali seats tonight and tore it. Next time I'll clean and treat the driver's side one to try to save the skin. I have a spare shale back skin, so I think the panels could be sewn into the ripped Denali ones (for when I get around to selling them on eBay).

I checked the door and seat harnesses on the '02 Z71 donor truck, and they don't have the connectors to just bolt in the 8-way power seats from the Denali (so I assume mine doesn't either). I pulled the door harnesses from the Denali, the driver harness had the mirror plug cut off (easily remedied), and I'll try to go back this weekend and get the body harness and rear seat heaters. The salvage yard is getting in an '04 Suburban this week, and I have first dibs on the interior parts. :thumbsup:

Tip/PSA: Guys, if your girls know anything about cars, send them to the salvage yard for you first and meet them after an hour or so. The parts will be cheaper and maybe even pulled and ready to load when you get there. We're like unicorns, everyone (including other customers) come over to watch me work, offer to help, and I always get a way better price than my fiancé or guy friends. But be sure to do something romantic for them in return. We have smaller muscle structure and wear out faster than you do, and we're not going to admit it (we can't beat you in the whining game anyway), so a hot bath and a back rub will probably get you some...dedicated time...later. Plus, helping/teaching/learning from your woman is very empowering to her, and I hope you all have had the benefit of an encounter with your lady when she's totally happy and in love with you.... Just saying.:emotions33: Alternatively, if you have a teenage daughter, son, niece, nephew, neighbor kid, etc., take them with you and teach them. Be patient and let them troubleshoot, even if you know the better answer. You will help them to build knowledge, experience, and confidence. I wouldn't be who I am without my grandfather, father, ex-boyfriends, and others pushing me to be capable and confident. They may not appreciate it now, but they will remember it and be better for it later in life.

So a post on another forum ('17+ console swap in a NNBS) has me intrigued.... The wiring shouldn't be much of an issue, but does anyone know whether it will fit and look right? I'm thinking it will be higher to function as an armrest, which I like, also the 110v plugs and wireless charging are awesome. Physically, does anyone know of any cons on the newer console? The salvage yards within 200 miles (casual driving distance in Texas) have them for less than $200. Any thoughts? Any links to pics installed in an NBS? I'm still thinking about modding the rear of the '03 console, but I feel like I'm just making that one work even though it's not really what I want. I haven't pinned down what I really want yet though, so off-the-wall suggestions are welcome.
I don't have any suggestions with the console, but I'd love to see how that would come out. Very intrigued with that one. When my son was younger--27 now-- I always hunted in my local yard for any F body parts. I was rebuilding my Formula, and I always brought my little side kick with me. Man did he love being there. He learned alot. Loved cars then, and he still loves them. He's the mechanic at a car auction in Pa now, and also owns an 86 Trans Am. The old man rubbed off on him a little I guess:D:driver:.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions with the console, but I'd love to see how that would come out. Very intrigued with that one. When my son was younger--27 now-- I always hunted in my local yard for any F body parts. I was rebuilding my Formula, and I always brought my little side kick with me. Man did he love being there. He learned alot. Loved cars then, and he still loves them. He's the mechanic at a car auction in Pa now, and also owns an 86 Trans Am. The old man rubbed off on him a little I guess:D:driver:.
Very cool. F-bodies just get in your blood. I've been around many makes and models of vehicle in my life, and by far my two favorite are the 1st-4th gen f-body and the GM trucks. My fiancé loves VW and 80's-90's BMWs, which I'm learning are really easy to work on. We're already out of room for the cars, and the kids don't have any yet. :)

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.... Last weekend we had to replace the A/C compressor and then a few days later, the neutral safety switch. Ugh.
We replaced the shocks with Bilstein 4600s, but one of the front shocks I ordered from Amazon was wrong, the new one came in today, so hopefully that will get done this week as well.

In the continuing saga of completing the interior, I got the rear bottoms with heaters from the salvage yard Denali, and most of the body wiring harness. I patched in the door harness plugs for the memory seats, and I've torn down the Denali 8-way power seat and the donor leather from the '05 that I have for the passenger front seat. Tomorrow I will try to get the seat put back together with the airbag and figure out something on the wiring and placement of the heating pads (FYI the '05 seat frame has the bolt holes for the airbag, the foam just needs to be cut out). My backup plan is getting replacement heating pads from China if I can't get everything to work out the way I want. Considering the kit for both seats is around $40, I should probably just do that, but I'm stubborn and can't turn away from a challenge.

I have to say that I'd rather do anything mechanical than pull that leather from the front seat backs. For the love of all that is Holy, that is the biggest PITA of the whole build.

I also dislocated a rib with all the wrenching and work I've been doing. It's one of the most annoying injuries you could have. The doc set me up with some muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories, so I'm good to go for tomorrow at least. Don't bother lecturing me, I know better, but there's work to do and it won't magically get done by itself.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.... Last weekend we had to replace the A/C compressor and then a few days later, the neutral safety switch. Ugh.
We replaced the shocks with Bilstein 4600s, but one of the front shocks I ordered from Amazon was wrong, the new one came in today, so hopefully that will get done this week as well.

In the continuing saga of completing the interior, I got the rear bottoms with heaters from the salvage yard Denali, and most of the body wiring harness. I patched in the door harness plugs for the memory seats, and I've torn down the Denali 8-way power seat and the donor leather from the '05 that I have for the passenger front seat. Tomorrow I will try to get the seat put back together with the airbag and figure out something on the wiring and placement of the heating pads (FYI the '05 seat frame has the bolt holes for the airbag, the foam just needs to be cut out). My backup plan is getting replacement heating pads from China if I can't get everything to work out the way I want. Considering the kit for both seats is around $40, I should probably just do that, but I'm stubborn and can't turn away from a challenge.

I have to say that I'd rather do anything mechanical than pull that leather from the front seat backs. For the love of all that is Holy, that is the biggest PITA of the whole build.

I also dislocated a rib with all the wrenching and work I've been doing. It's one of the most annoying injuries you could have. The doc set me up with some muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories, so I'm good to go for tomorrow at least. Don't bother lecturing me, I know better, but there's work to do and it won't magically get done by itself.
I'd love to see the end result of all your hard work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts