Tank's '02 Z71 Tahoe Rescue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Just a little trivia: If you pop the headrest off a front seat, turn it over and unclip it, there's a white tag that tells you the interior leather color.
And then you have to get the clip back on, but good to know. I'm missing hog rings right about now.
Because I'm so organized I'm disorganized, I have a notebook with cross references to other models, including all the leather colors and codes, and interior RPO codes. I also have the wiring diagrams and breakouts for all the things I'm planning on modding. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it for everyone's amusement tomorrow.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
And then you have to get the clip back on, but good to know. I'm missing hog rings right about now.
Because I'm so organized I'm disorganized, I have a notebook with cross references to other models, including all the leather colors and codes, and interior RPO codes. I also have the wiring diagrams and breakouts for all the things I'm planning on modding. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it for everyone's amusement tomorrow.
Those velcro strips and plastic clips aren't bad. Headrest leather is clipped together with plastic clips undernesth. Just unclip it. Where'd you get all the info on the leather colors and codes? I'm actually looking for something like that.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the Denali seats and the back seat only cost me $80. The front seats I pulled from the '05 and all the plastic from the previous haul was $85.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the Denali seats and the back seat only cost me $80. The front seats I pulled from the '05 and all the plastic from the previous haul was $85.
Good deal. Denali rear seats should be heated. Has heating elements in them.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Those velcro strips and plastic clips aren't bad. Headrest leather is clipped together with plastic clips undernesth. Just unclip it. Where'd you get all the info on the leather colors and codes? I'm actually looking for something like that.
I'm not good at getting the plastic J-clips back together, I don't have the strength or patience to pull/push on them. The headrests and bottom seats aren't bad, but I'm soooo hating the top seat covers right now.
I research everything to extreme. I made a Word doc from all the different sources I found.

For you Tony, I walked out to the garage and got it. Here's the interior info and a few pages from my nerdbook.
20180428_225422.jpg

20180428_225322_640x480.jpg20180428_225342_640x480_001.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm not good at getting the plastic J-clips back together, I don't have the strength or patience to pull/push on them. The headrests and bottom seats aren't bad, but I'm soooo hating the top seat covers right now.
I research everything to extreme. I made a Word doc from all the different sources I found.

For you Tony, I walked out to the garage and got it. Here's the interior info and a few pages from my nerdbook.
View attachment 198022

View attachment 198020View attachment 198023
Nice! Thank you. Great job. I could use that myself. I repair seats for dealers, and I have to dye the repair afterwards. Sometimes finding the right color takes me longer then the repair does.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Good deal. Denali rear seats should be heated. Has heating elements in them.
Yes, I discovered that as I was trying to pull the body harness. I ran out of time and I'll have to go back for it later. The rear seat came from an '05 Tahoe, so it's not heated. I hope I can pull the Denali harness to get the 8-way working for my front seats and cut it for the back seats. The Denali rear seat was not great, salvage yards have a habit of throwing engine parts, like driveshafts, into vehicles and tearing the leather. If you look at the Denali front seat pics, I think it's a bit moldy too. The headrests and one armrest (so far) is good, if anyone needs Shale leather pieces. I'm not into the Denali headrest because I feel like I'll look like Princess Leia driving down the road.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yes, I discovered that as I was trying to pull the body harness. I ran out of time and I'll have to go back for it later. The rear seat came from an '05 Tahoe, so it's not heated. I hope I can pull the Denali harness to get the 8-way working for my front seats and cut it for the back seats. The Denali rear seat was not great, salvage yards have a habit of throwing engine parts, like driveshafts, into vehicles and tearing the leather. If you look at the Denali front seat pics, I think it's a bit moldy too. The headrests and one armrest (so far) is good, if anyone needs Shale leather pieces. I'm not into the Denali headrest because I feel like I'll look like Princess Leia driving down the road.
If the mold isn't bad, it should clean up ok.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Nice! Thank you. Great job. I could use that myself. I repair seats for dealers, and I have to dye the repair afterwards. Sometimes finding the right color takes me longer then the repair does.
I'll keep that in mind...one of the good leather bottoms I'm going to use has a cigarette hole in it. I can do regular leather work, I've done cosplay and western stuff for years, but I've never tried upholstery. I'm actually thinking about buying a leather sewing machine (for other projects) and doing the two panels I need. If you noticed the giant orange and green boxes in the the background of some of my photos, they're laser cutters. I can digitize and cut the leather patterns pretty easily, but I only know how to sew them by hand with a stitching pony.

For the console, I don't like the round back of the '03+. The pocket is an option, but I'm thinking about fabbing something based on the '03+ profile. I don't know yet, I consider that a luxury project right now so it's just an idea floating around until everything else gets done, or I get pissed off at the seat uppers again and run out of busywork.

Oh, when we pulled the Denali fronts yesterday the pockets were filled with water. They're shale anyway, so I don't want them, but I'm practicing pulling them off so I don't mess up the gray ones I have. Maybe I'll try to rescue them and sell them later, but for now it's not high on the priority list.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind...one of the good leather bottoms I'm going to use has a cigarette hole in it. I can do regular leather work, I've done cosplay and western stuff for years, but I've never tried upholstery. I'm actually thinking about buying a leather sewing machine (for other projects) and doing the two panels I need. If you noticed the giant orange and green boxes in the the background of some of my photos, they're laser cutters. I can digitize and cut the leather patterns pretty easily, but I only know how to sew them by hand with a stitching pony.

For the console, I don't like the round back of the '03+. The pocket is an option, but I'm thinking about fabbing something based on the '03+ profile. I don't know yet, I consider that a luxury project right now so it's just an idea floating around until everything else gets done, or I get pissed off at the seat uppers again and run out of busywork.

Oh, when we pulled the Denali fronts yesterday the pockets were filled with water. They're shale anyway, so I don't want them, but I'm practicing pulling them off so I don't mess up the gray ones I have. Maybe I'll try to rescue them and sell them later, but for now it's not high on the priority list.
Good luck. Let us know how you do. Not gonna be easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts