Tank's '02 Z71 Tahoe Rescue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
While replacing the water pump, I did some cleaning on the front of engine. There was about 1/8" of build up all over.
20180420_132524_640x480.jpg 20180420_132540_640x480.jpg
After
20180420_175214_640x480.jpg 20180420_175222_640x480.jpg
The truck had been sitting for less than a day and the mud daubers decided to nest on the radiator. This is the damage they can do (after I pulled the mudball off).
20180420_132741_640x480.jpg
Yesterday I went back to the salvage yard and pulled the rear seat from the '05 and some 8-way power frames from a Yukon Denali. Today's project is getting them out of the back of the truck and cleaning them.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some catch up photos....
And before installing the rear carpet, we laid sound deadener/heat shield. (Frost King insulation from Lowe's.)
View attachment 197960

Good job!!!
It works pretty good if you go over everything with it. The wheel wells, transmission tunnel and doors are where the majority of the sound is transferred to the interior. The roof as well, mostly for the insulation value and the radiant barrier but sound does transmit through there as we. I think I am going to do our two main vehicles this summer as well as a little mass loading. The Yukon XL is already pretty quiet but I want more and the wife's Z71 needs help.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Something else I'm researching is modifying/swapping the center console. I have two '02 tan consoles with rear audio and an '03+ tan console with rear audio. I think I want to mate up the '03 and remove the '02 ashtray/12V parts. I don't like that it doesn't use the full inner space and I don't need the rear controls, any suggestions? I haven't taken a good look at removing the amp and speaker to see what kind of room I can get yet.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Good job!!!
It works pretty good if you go over everything with it. The wheel wells, transmission tunnel and doors are where the majority of the sound is transferred to the interior. The roof as well, mostly for the insulation value and the radiant barrier but sound does transmit through there as we. I think I am going to do our two main vehicles this summer as well as a little mass loading. The Yukon XL is already pretty quiet but I want more and the wife's Z71 needs help.

We lined the garage (metal building) with the foil double bubble radiant barrier last summer, and it makes a huge difference in the west Texas heat. When the headliner comes down in the Tahoe, you can bet it's getting lined just for that reason. I wish I'd been brave enough to pull out the rear air and line behind it, but it's on the list whenever the AC compressor needs replaced.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Something else I'm researching is modifying/swapping the center console. I have two '02 tan consoles with rear audio and an '03+ tan console with rear audio. I think I want to mate up the '03 and remove the '02 ashtray/12V parts. I don't like that it doesn't use the full inner space and I don't need the rear controls, any suggestions? I haven't taken a good look at removing the amp and speaker to see what kind of room I can get yet.
I had the center jump seat in my 03 and went with the 03-06 center console. It slso had the radio controls, which I pulled out since it wasn't needed. There's a cubby that goes in place of the controls that you can grab from a Silverado that has the same console. I lost alot of my pics, but if you check out my build page I posted them on there. Did you paint the new dash top, or just clean it up? Looks amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
The dash was just cleaned and treated, 303 protectant is awesome, I've been using it since I restored the GTA. I really like the dark graphite from the silverado. I'll try to remember to grab some new pics of the completed dash tomorrow.

Today, I somehow managed to get the 2nd row seat and two Denali seats out of the back of the truck by myself. I knew my degree from that fancy agriculture and mechanical school would come in handy some day. Here's the back seat after I got it out and fabbed a dolly for it.
20180428_125446_640x480.jpg
This came from the same '05 Tahoe as the leather fronts I pulled previously. I swear it was a stripper's truck...glitter everywhere. It's also interesting that nearly every vehicle I pull parts from, I find empty beer bottles or cans in. Keep drinking and driving folks, I need your parts.

Oh damn, I never bothered to check if the center plastic was there. I think I have one from a previous salvage yard excursion though.
20180428_161406_640x480.jpg

I first cleaned them with some leftover Krud Kutter water from the last thing I cleaned, then did the seams/stitching with Krud Kutter and a toothbrush, went over the whole thing with my steam cleaner, then wiped with a sponge and clean water.
20180428_165432_640x480.jpg

Then I went in with coconut oil shampoo (from Dollar Tree),
20180428_181824_640x480.jpg
and finished with a soak of 303 Protectant just like I did with the dash, wiping it with a microfiber cloth after about 2 hours.
20180428_184649_640x480.jpg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The dash was just cleaned and treated, 303 protectant is awesome, I've been using it since I restored the GTA. I really like the dark graphite from the silverado. I'll try to remember to grab some new pics of the completed dash tomorrow.

Today, I somehow managed to get the 2nd row seat and two Denali seats out of the back of the truck by myself. I knew my degree from that fancy agriculture and mechanical school would come in handy some day. Here's the back seat after I got it out and fabbed a dolly for it.
View attachment 198011
This came from the same '05 Tahoe as the leather fronts I pulled previously. I swear it was a stripper's truck...glitter everywhere. It's also interesting that nearly every vehicle I pull parts from, I find empty beer bottles or cans in. Keep drinking and driving folks, I need your parts.

Oh damn, I never bothered to check if the center plastic was there. I think I have one from a previous salvage yard excursion though.
View attachment 198012

I first cleaned them with some leftover Krud Kutter water from the last thing I cleaned, then did the seams/stitching with Krud Kutter and a toothbrush, went over the whole thing with my steam cleaner, then wiped with a sponge and clean water.
View attachment 198013

View attachment 198014
and finished with a soak of 303 Protectant just like I did with the dash, wiping it with a microfiber cloth after about 2 hours.
View attachment 198015

Damn. That's impressive. Keep it up.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

View attachment 198011

View attachment 198012

View attachment 198013

View attachment 198014
View attachment 198015
Just a little trivia: If you pop the headrest off a front seat, turn it over and unclip it, there's a white tag that tells you the interior leather color.

OP
OP
Tankueray

Tankueray

Reaction score
Here are the seats I pulled from the Denali. I tried to pull the top leather without cutting it, but that is a helluva job, so I organized all the gray vs. tan parts I have sitting around and washed the truck instead.
20180428_125930_640x480.jpg 20180428_130054_640x480.jpg

Here's the shampoo from Dollar Tree for the leather
20180428_184755_640x480.jpg

And now I'm exhausted, so time to relax until I start again tomorrow.
20180428_130428_640x480.jpg

Hopefully I'll get two more door panels and the wind deflectors on, and maybe start figuring out how to mount the backup camera and LED brake strip.

Still to go:
Shocks, front seats, carpet, and center console.
Suspension and alignment evaluation after shocks.
New tires, maybe plastidip the rims again.
High flow or dual exhaust.
SEM paint some interior pieces I can't find in gray.
Driving to Disneyland....

I'm accumulating a large number of tan interior pieces if anyone is looking. Let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep