Tail lights - failing again - looking for suggested replacement source (or cause)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
vp46

vp46

Reaction score
You got to be kidding me this car has 40,000 miles on it! 40,000! and I've had $1400 worth of tail lights go out???!?!.

For comparison:
I drive an 2005 Silverado it's been to the dealer exactly zero times since I drove it off the lot - 140k miles ago.

This Yukon has been to the dealer 6 times - which means I took time off of work 6 times to solve a myriad of problems some of which still have yet to be solved. (Exhaust squeak and chassis squeak to name two)

Please! give me a break. I don't care what the new cars are like that they designed $700 taillight this all the $.25cent problem is absolutely asinine.

My advice buy the extended warranty - it's not an option it's a must do.

Or you will be replacing $1400 worth of taillights out of your pocket shortly.

Ps I personally will be putting my money towards boats and planes - there is no new GM product in my future. Life long customer lost..

I will Happily drive my '71 dodge to and from the dock/air strip tyvm. Which btw I can buy hand made sequential led brake lights for $150.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking $200. But I understand. I was just saying it would be a good deal to do it for $200 and be done. Take care.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's $200...? Not trying to be abrasive but doesn't it cost more than that to fill the tank on your boat or plane? I understand the hassle aspect of it for sure

Sent from my DynaTac8000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$700 dollar failing tail lights on a new vehicle?? That's just insane!!! Are there no recalls for this issue??? And failing that ... if you otherwise like the vehicle?? What about seeing what a custom shop can do to rectify the issue??

OP
OP
vp46

vp46

Reaction score
So it's $200...? Not trying to be abrasive but doesn't it cost more than that to fill the tank on your boat or plane? I understand the hassle aspect of it for sure

I had to argue to get to $200. They wanted $800 the first time and $700 the second time....

Sorry but if I can expect to need to replace $200 tail lights (let alone $700) every 40k miles there's a problem and it has nothing to do with how much my money is worth to me.

Principle. GMC charged me for a premium product I received a subpar product. I will buy another brand (if anything) before I come back to GM.

They lost a long time customer over a tail light.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to argue to get to $200. They wanted $800 the first time and $700 the second time....

Sorry but if I can expect to need to replace $200 tail lights (let alone $700) every 40k miles there's a problem and it has nothing to do with how much my money is worth to me.

Principle. GMC charged me for a premium product I received a subpar product. I will buy another brand (if anything) before I come back to GM.

They lost a long time customer over a tail light.

Yeah but even the escalade is just a dressed up Tahoe which is a ~$40k vehicle. I put up with my Denali's idiosyncrasies and clunky 'American character' because my wife's Mercedes costs $600 for an oil change. I just smh every time I leave the GM dealer after a $50 oil change

I know its frustrating but it's all relative. I can't imagine what a faulty tail light unit on a Range Rover or GL550 would run.

On another note, would the light have been covered under an extended warranty?

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've only been to the dealer six times in 40k miles?!?! Man that is not bad at all.

My 2014 Lexus has been to the dealer 4 times in 16k miles. My wife's 2015 Grand Cherokee has been to the dealer, as of this morning since it has an appt at 8am, 7 times. Or I think 7, I've lost count with it and it has 24k miles on it.

While the price for the tail light is crazy, it's a tail light and they always go out at some random point. Our 2012 Suburban had a tail light out at around 600 miles. Just a bulb on it, I know but I thought that was really weird. So did the police officer lol I had to show him my odometer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsams22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was amazed that the first tail light went out in under two yrs of owner ship. I was MORE amazed that the replacement cost was $700 quoted from Pearson GMC in Sunnyvale, CA. It was covered under warranty at that time but the warraty has since expired and sure enough..... the other tail light went out.

I have a fear that I will sell this vehicle at a major loss over a $700 tail light and never return to the brand again ever. Over a tail light. (never mind the other little things about this truck that are unbelievable - loose seat for starters, whistling exhaust, and clunk in steering wheel)

Any one source a direct replacement for the driver side tail light at anything under dealer cost yet? (Who designs a $700 tail light that needs to be replaced in it's entirety?? who does that?)

help!

I am running into the same problem. My yukon is still under the 12k/12month Bumper to Bumper and they want me to pay for the repair first, then wait to see if GM will cover under warranty.

What was your experience?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Squeaky wheel will get the grease. Contact GM corp and complain, then lodge a complaint with the BBB. Resolution will be sooner than you can imagine and reasonable...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan