Tahoe shakes HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joncanana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Help !! I have a 1999 2dr tahoe 4x4 a week or 2 ago it's stared shaking at 2k rpm 30 mph in 3rd and 4th gear. I thought maybe a misfire so I changed spark plugs ignition cap and rotor and wires. Stared right up sounded good but same problem. So got up to 30 mph and put it in neutral no more shake. Put back in drive shakes put it in 4x4 and it still shaked but not as much any idea what it could be?

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only vibrates under a load, I would suspect a bad Ujoint. More info plz.

is the tahoe lifted ?
If so, how many inches?

Stock driveshaft ?

OP
OP
J

Joncanana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it only vibrates under a load, I would suspect a bad Ujoint. More info plz.

is the tahoe lifted ?
If so, how many inches?

Stock driveshaft ?

It's 100% stock. ( stock drive shaft)
I got under the the truck and checked the Ujoints they seemed to be fine. I went Through almost the whole front end bushings and bearings all seemed normal. But I did suspect it was drive line because it only happens under load.

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it only shake at 2000 rpms in all gears?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably your driveshaft needs servicing. That the vibration goes away at speed while in neutral eliminates the suspension IMO. Your driveshaft could have hit something and got bent but more than likely you need a new yoke or u-joint. Might be something in the transfer case but start with the driveshaft.

OP
OP
J

Joncanana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably your driveshaft needs servicing. That the vibration goes away at speed while in neutral eliminates the suspension IMO. Your driveshaft could have hit something and got bent but more than likely you need a new yoke or u-joint. Might be something in the transfer case but start with the driveshaft.

I'll have to pull out my driveshaft and bring it to a shop to see if it's balanced.

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you positive its a vibration from the driveshaft, or a possible engine vibration.

Do this: (to test the TPS, Throttle Position sensor)

With the engine running in park, slowly accelerate your RPMS to 2000(this is where you say it vibrates). If your motor spits and spudders at 2000 rpms with the vehicle in park, your tps is bad. It is possible that you do not feel the vibration from first to second, because the rpms may already be higher than 2000 rpms when the shift occurs(both before and after). When the gear goes to third and fourth, your rpms are lower since you are in a higher gear.

OP
OP
J

Joncanana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you positive its a vibration from the driveshaft, or a possible engine vibration.

Do this: (to test the TPS, Throttle Position sensor)

With the engine running in park, slowly accelerate your RPMS to 2000(this is where you say it vibrates). If your motor spits and spudders at 2000 rpms with the vehicle in park, your tps is bad. It is possible that you do not feel the vibration from first to second, because the rpms may already be higher than 2000 rpms when the shift occurs(both before and after). When the gear goes to third and fourth, your rpms are lower since you are in a higher gear.

Seems good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium