Tahoe PPV (police package)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe was not very impressive in Michigan State Police testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cf_1Q9yKoY
That driver was terrible too. Look at 12 seconds, braking hard mid-turn. Always a big no-no. Good way to break the tires loose and lose control.

Everyone knows you break before the turn and then give the vehicle a little bit of gas into the turn. Your instincts tell you otherwise, but that is driving 101.

sctdixon

Reaction score
I've got a '09 PPV Defender and the suspension is the same as any stock 2wd with the exception of HD sway bars, I believe. The engine is also the same as any other Hoe with the exception of bigger alternator, dual batteries, and an idle speed increaser when the electric load is high when parked (at donut shops) :shocked:

The wheels/tires are smaller so it appears to be lower. The "Cop Wheels" are 17x7.5" and the tires are P265/60R17 with bolt on "Cop" hubcaps. There are other features that are specific to PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicles) and SSV's but aren't really performance oriented.

As for carpet, I also search for one from dealers and they are not available in eboney nor does the aftermarket offer any. I found a used one from a wrecked vehicle and cleaned it up. I haven't installed it yet and may not because winter is coming and the vinyle flooring will be nice in the Michigan winters.

Hammer450R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That driver was terrible too. Look at 12 seconds, braking hard mid-turn. Always a big no-no. Good way to break the tires loose and lose control.

Everyone knows you break before the turn and then give the vehicle a little bit of gas into the turn. Your instincts tell you otherwise, but that is driving 101.

On a big truck like that sometimes you need a pump of the brake to get the ass end to loosen up and make the sharper turn. And i think the guy was trying to make the tires squeal for video effect lol

N2BFW1BAMF

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what do you mean by Mod out the motors? like, change things or take things out to make it less then the police would have? From what ive heard fro talking to some guys ( im hunting for a decent SSV myself ) they dont change anything, except take out the EVP (emergency vehicle procession) ,sirens, any red or blue colored lighting, cages and official signage. lots of departments leave laptop mounts lighting air horns wig wags center consols, blah blah blah. but ive never heard of the changeing or moding anything in the engine, transmission or suspension.

I have a 2005 FBI Tahoe 4wd and I took it in to get checked out by the Chevy dealership. They told me that it has an all aluminum 5.3L in it, a heavier duty transmission and transfer case as well as no speed limiter. The suspension is heavy duty as well as the brakes. I had a 2003 Mustang GT before this and it may sound strange but this Tahoe has more power and better handling than my stang did!

It has the Vinyl floors, cloth seats and it came with the lights and sirens installed(I took them all off). It also has the dual battery kit under the hood and built in auto trailer braking kit for the hitch.

I got it Dyno'd at Virginia Motorsprots Park in Petersberg VA, I have 378 hp and 401 tq to the wheels.

Now if that isn't modified than why aren't more people buying these things???

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't understand why we can't order civilian SUV's with the lowering kit.

my lowered tahoe got MUCH better MPG than my newest Tahoe, which is stock height.
seems like if it could pick up ~2mpg, lowering it would be a NO BRAINER.

i can't see many people stump-jumping in a $50k SUV anyways, so it seems like GM is freaking brain dead to have them ride so high, esp if you think about rollover and MPG.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't understand why we can't order civilian SUV's with the lowering kit.

my lowered tahoe got MUCH better MPG than my newest Tahoe, which is stock height.
seems like if it could pick up ~2mpg, lowering it would be a NO BRAINER.

i can't see many people stump-jumping in a $50k SUV anyways, so it seems like GM is freaking brain dead to have them ride so high, esp if you think about rollover and MPG.

Isn't the hybrid one lowered too?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PPVs has a 2" drop. Pedders provides the suspension components.
Front and rear sway bars.
They came with either 3:73s or 4:10s.
They did get put on a strict diet to. 07s were weighed in at 5265lbs

07 PPV specs -->http://www.lawofficer.com/article/vehicle-ops/space-race
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/06/chevys-arresting-2007-police-tahoe/
Spec list of PPV options I found on another site
ALTERNATOR 160-AMP with Idle Boost (Transmission in Park or Neutral) Based on Battery Energy Level
AIR CLEANER High-Capacity with Air Filter Restriction Indicator
BATTERY Heavy-Duty 730 CCA with Battery Rundown Protection (Does Not Protect Customer Installed Equipment)
BRAKES Heavy Duty 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Front and Rear Disc with Vacuum Boost Power Assist
COOLING Heavy Duty High Capacity Radiator and Electric Fans
ENGINE Vortec 5300 V8 SFI with Active Fuel Management, Flex-Fuel (Gas or E85 Ethanol); Top Speed Fuel Cut-Off at 125 MPH;
Includes Air Conditioning Wide Open Throttle Cut Off
FRAME Full Perimeter, Modular with Hydroformed Rails
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 26 Gallon (100 Liters)
OIL COOLERS Engine Heavy Duty, Transmission Heavy Duty, Power Steering Auxiliary Air-to-Oil (See Page 8 for Description)
PROP SHAFT High Speed Balanced Aluminum, Four Inch Diameter
RADIO SUPPRESSION Grounding Straps, at Five Additional Locations (See Page 9 For Locations)
SKID PLATE Front Underbody Shield Starting Behind Front Bumper and Running to 2nd Cross-Member Protecting Front Underbody and
Oil Pan
SPARK PLUGS Extended Life - Iridium Tip
STABILITRAK Not Available on Police Package (Tahoe Police Package has been Designed with a Lower Center of Gravity and Enhanced
Suspension System)
STEERING Power, Rack and Pinion
SUSPENSION, FRONT Coil-Over-Shock with Stabilizer Bar
SUSPENSION, REAR Multi-Link with Coil Springs, Shocks and Heavy Duty Stabilizer Bar
TIRES Goodyear P265/60R17 All-Season, Blackwall, H-Rated
TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR CHECK TIRE PRESSURE (Includes Sensor to Spare Tire) Spare Tire Sensor not Programmed
TIRE SPARE Full-Size Spare, Lockable with Outside Winch-Type Carrier Mounted Under Frame at Rear
TRACTION CONTROL Not Available on Police Package (PPV)
TRAILERING EQUIPMENT Not Available on Police Package (PPV)
TRANSMISSION Enhanced Calibration 4-Speed Automatic w/Overdrive
WHEELS Heavy Duty Black Steel 17" x 7.5"
WHEEL CENTER CAP Polished Finish Bolt-on Metal

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Police tahoe is two inch drop but looks more like 4 because it has small tires.

It is most definitely not a 4 inch drop and I've seen a few ssv and I'm 100% they are normal height.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Also I believe they leave them high up like they do for towing and clearance.
When I was lowered I constantly brushed my bumper on things. And idk about you but in my experience a tahoe is not gonna roll no matter how hard you push it unless you hit something that's gonna send you over you'll slide long before you flip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr