Tahoe 6-Speed T56 Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see anyone do any conversions on the nnbs. I've searched on a few forums but only come up with empty threads with no answers. I'm sure it could be done but you'd most likely have to do some sort of custom work and have the wallet to afford it.

Same here, nothing worth while. 4l80e and 6l swaps but no manual swaps.

Its basically the same swap. Both trans are 4l60e. The only differences being DBW and DOD/AFM, correct?

Custom work doesn't bother me, driveshaft, trans mount, pedal assembly etc,,,. Its the tuning that gets me. The biggest investment would be the trans, sucks because I just saw a T56 sell for $700 on a local forum.

Chevy305

Reaction score
The tuning shouldn't be a problem with EFI Live or similar program. Unless you know a shop local, you'd probably have to send out your ECM to a professional tuner.

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the nnbs, the clutch pedal would be an obstacle for most people unless you have some fabrication skills. To my knowledge none of the nnbs rigs had a clutch pedal that'd bolt-in. The nbs trucks did, so the swap is pretty easy since the truck pedal assembly/hydraulics are a direct bolt-in deal.

Mike

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tuning shouldn't be a problem with EFI Live or similar program. Unless you know a shop local, you'd probably have to send out your ECM to a professional tuner.

So far, I've had pretty bad experiences with two local GM specific tuners. I'm going to another one about 3 hours away in late December.

For the nnbs, the clutch pedal would be an obstacle for most people unless you have some fabrication skills. To my knowledge none of the nnbs rigs had a clutch pedal that'd bolt-in. The nbs trucks did, so the swap is pretty easy since the truck pedal assembly/hydraulics are a direct bolt-in deal.

Mike

Thankfully I'm a welder/fabricator. I'll have to make my way to the local pick-n-pull to see if I can find a pedal assembly.

As much as I would love to do this, an 80e may be the way I'm going to go.
I'm going to have to do a lot of research.

How's your swap coming along?

Thanks for the info.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a part number for the assembly?

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy the whole pedal assembly from GM.

For an NBS, yes, and It's a direct bolt-in for a NBS suv. Will it work on a NNBS suv, I doubt it since I don't think the two share the same firewall and to my knowledge GM hasn't offered a manual trans in any of the full size GMT900 (NNBS) platforms . Plus the whole pedal assembly and bracket is plastic so It's not easy to modify like a metal assembly.

Mike

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For an NBS, yes, and It's a direct bolt-in for a NBS suv. Will it work on a NNBS suv, I doubt it since I don't think the two share the same firewall and to my knowledge GM hasn't offered a manual trans in any of the full size GMT900 (NNBS) platforms . Plus the whole pedal assembly and bracket is plastic so It's not easy to modify like a metal assembly.

Mike

I wish it were that easy

Did some research, and apparently some mexico made V6 silverados came with a manual trans...

Also GM didnt stop in US until 08. So I would think maybe you could find it from a 07 truck.

Here ya go.
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAsse...el=14538&ukey_driveline=6218&ukey_trimLevel=0

See if that helps you NNBS guys

Ohhh my wish may have come true, haha

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'm going to check it out

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That link posted shows the same pedal/bracket I'm using for the NBS.

If the NNBS firewall looks like this, then you all are in luck.

Right where that red power cable goes into the firewall is where the hole gets cut for the master/pedal/bracket assy.

IMG_20141108_145124756_zpss1ufhp0g.jpg
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17