Tahoe 2003 mysterious stalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewg29

Reaction score
OK, no luck, I was pretty sure these 2 last parts change didn't help. Vehicule stalled again after a 10 mn drive...
Ok buy a can of sea foam and put about half the bottle in the brake Booster the engine will act like it's going to stall but won't. Reconnect the brake Booster let your tahoe sit for 15 to 20 minutes and then crank it up and white smoke should come out. It cleans your injectors and all that good stuff.. Best of luck.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Ok P0336 is interesting. What you need to do is get it to not start again and immediately check for spark. I need to know if you have spark when its in the no-start condition. We can get this but stop throwing parts at it! :D A good diagnosis is all you need before buying the exact part that you need.

Also do you have a code reader that shows live sensor data?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bowtie2

bowtie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, I dont have that live sensor data device, just a code reader /eraser. The vehicule is to go to the garage next friday, I 'll let you know what it is. I'd like to do again that no start test you suggest, but I lack time this week . I am pretty sure I don't have sparks, because I have gas coming under pressure at the pressure valve at the same time.
Thank you

Last edited:
OP
OP
bowtie2

bowtie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK! the problem was that Crankshaft Position Sensor, so I went to the garage, they changed it and retrieve the PO336 code, then that was it!
For info, the mechanic told me that this Crankshaft position sensor failure usualy provoques impossible starts when engine is hot, but not there, it's the first time he has this type of engine cut after 10 mn drive.
I could have done it by myself in fact, because the guy told me it doesn't need a relearn procedure as soon as you take care to unplug the battery prior removing the sensor.

Last edited:

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
OK! the problem was that Crankshaft Position Sensor, so I went to the garage, they changed it and retrieve the PO336 code, then that was it!
For info, the mechanic told me that this Crankshaft position sensor failure usualy provoques impossible starts when engine is hot, but not there, it's the first time he has this type of engine cut after 10 mn drive.
I could have done it by myself in fact, because the guy told me it doesn't need a relearn procedure as soon as you take care to unplug the battery prior removing the sensor.

This is where I was heading. Your ECM needs a crankshaft signal to initiate spark and fuel. No spark and no fuel is usally a bad CKP sensor. A pretty good test for this if it dies after a few minutes of running is to let it idle and die. Then try to restart it. If it doesn't want to restart, take your garden hose and run it over the sensor for a minute and then try to start it again.

Glad you got it fixed though.

OP
OP
bowtie2

bowtie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes Schloe! The mechanic told me that usualy these CKP sensor failure drives to a no start when cold or warm. Not very often to my stall after 5 mn. He also told me it's not that often that these CKP sensor fail on these 223ci engines.

OP
OP
bowtie2

bowtie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just to let know that 2 years and 6 month later...the problem occurred again! Symptoms where little different: couple months ago it stalled suddenly when stopping at a stop light, juste a few times, and one day, 3 weeks ago it stalled after 1/2 mile when idling or engine running under 1000rpm on a slope, every time I was using the vehicule. No code or error message, so I decided to replace again that damned CKP sensor. And it runs fine again.
The previous CKP sensor was a pure China shit device, no brand on it, this time, I put a Delphi unit OEM part...China made also, and hope it will work fine for ...ever!

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate you sharing your experiences & repairs. Great tech info for those people doing a forum or internet search

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz