Suspension vs body lift installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbarber6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Tahoe Yukon world. I'm looking for some advice which I couldn't find on the forum. The time has come for my 2000 GMC Yukon to be lifted. I was wondering what would be the way to go money and installation wise. I have basic understanding of vehicles as well as being handy with tools. I am not sure how to go about the lift. Would a body lift with keys and spacers be easier to install or would a suspension lift such as rough country or zone. Any and all tips and input will be greatly appreciated!

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size are you looking for in the end?

OP
OP
C

Cbarber6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right around 35s that's why I was aiming towards the suspension lift but I will end up having to install the lift myself which I have the equipment for just unsure of installation difficulties

OP
OP
C

Cbarber6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have seen one guy on here with a gold and a black Tahoe with this body lift and key and spacer lift just haven't heard about it enough

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I've seen a few people stuff 35s with just a 3 inch key lift, looks pretty good. But for functionality's sake, a 4.5 or 6 inch lift is probably your best bet to have better suspension travel and what not.

OP
OP
C

Cbarber6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now how hard are the suspension lifts to install I've been sort of aiming towards them and looking into the installation but want to here from normal customers who have actually done the install before

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now how hard are the suspension lifts to install I've been sort of aiming towards them and looking into the installation but want to here from normal customers who have actually done the install before
See post "gears, lift, 22s, & 35s"
He DIY a 6" suspension kit and swapped from factory to 4.10 or 4.56 gears. His kit required some cutting/grinding/welding; most kits do in order to relocate the front differential. You will need just about every tool ever manufactured to DIY a 6+ suspension. Same thing for 3-4" suspension "kit" -- I would assume the same amount of work as you are still relocating the front diff.

Edit! The 1-3" torsion bar leveling key and back spring spacer is completely different. All you need to swap the keys is a torsion-bar unloading clamp (supplied with some "leveling" kits) in the front and only several sockets & wrenches, typical jacks & jack stands for the overall labor and inserting the rear spring spacer.

Here you are: link to detailed instructions!

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/li...ukon-yukon-xl/2000-06/27920-hk.html?c=214&i=2

Last edited:

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right around 35s that's why I was aiming towards the suspension lift but I will end up having to install the lift myself which I have the equipment for just unsure of installation difficulties

After reading the instructions I posted below, you would be able to do it in 1-weekend, easy if you have all the tools. I like the RCD suspension kit because of their NDT non-torsion bar drop bracket on the LCAs. Most kits drop the torsion bars way below the frame with extended brackets at the back but you won't even see the bars with the NDT brackets; that makes all the difference in my opinion.

OP
OP
C

Cbarber6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After reading the instructions I posted below, you would be able to do it in 1-weekend, easy if you have all the tools. I like the RCD suspension kit because of their NDT non-torsion bar drop bracket on the LCAs. Most kits drop the torsion bars way below the frame with extended brackets at the back but you won't even see the bars with the NDT brackets; that makes all the difference in my opinion.
Thanks a ton for these links and advice. I'm absolutely aiming towards that suspension lift now especially with the ntd factor. Now tool wise are the rough country supplies list reliable at all or not? I will be using an impact gun tho for a little bit of ease

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne