Suspension Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riskoihi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 97 Yukon 2dr, at the moment it has 6in on lift.i have a little mechanical knowledge but probably get help from someone. i like the stance it sits at right now but the roads around here are garbage. in my city we get a lot of truck traffic due to a few industries as well as frost heaves (like oilfield and forestry). When i do the suspension in your opinion what would be the optimal set up to make the ride smother?

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modify the front end to coil over suspension using the fab setup and parts provided by 'atomic' over at gmfullsize.com

There is a related topic and possibly contact info for that guy in the street suspension sub-forum.

You obviously posted in the wrong forum since you have an older model year as discussed but I believe the coil over kit applies just the same. On the back of the truck you will have to trash the original leaf springs and buy a new set that will flex instead of just banging around as the recoil properties are long gone. The suspension parts are old & have outlived the usefulness of their proper service and function. Nothing lasts forever, you talking about parts over 20-years old, my man. Furthermore, all bushings located in the sway bar links, upper & lower arms, shock mounts, etc all need replacing as well or you won't get anywhere with suspension performance & function. You are talking a full suspension overhaul more costly than the trucks total value for resale or otherwise, depending on the appearance and other major systems

The atomic coil-over Kit can be made to work with the current 6" bracketry. He has the suppliers for front end coils and can prob direct you to info for the rear end parts if he doesn't have stock. Good luck and whatever your budget is, double that for proper expenditures on a project like this. Don't forget ball joint both upper & lower, possible wheel hubs, tie rod ends & linkage. If the roads are bad as you say, there will be more parts needing replacing than expected.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC