Suspension Inspection Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blown240

Reaction score
I recently bought an 04 Yukon XL with 129k miles.

It has a slight tapping/knock over small bumps. When you hit a big bump its quiet. Also, today I noticed a clunk as my mother in law backed it out of my driveway. So I need to do an inspection of the front end, and don't really want to pay the $125 for the local alignment shop to do it.

Turning is nice, and it tracks straight. It doesn't feel "loose" at all when driving.

Whats the best way to check sway bar bushing, shock bushings, arms, joints, etc. I know thats a super vague question, but any tips would be appreciated.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab the sway bar link itself and jerk it around to see if you can make it clunk. But if the bushings are still intact, the oppisite end with the joint is your more than likely your culprit.

Your description is pretty spot on to condemn the end link(s).

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
ok guys, so I replaced the sway bar links and the center sway bar bushings. I also changed the lower part of the upper shock bushing. I am going to get the upper part of the upper shock bushing next, the old ones were pretty wasted.

The slight tapping/knock over small bumps is gone when going straight, but still happens when I turn.

Any ideas what it could be?

sefiro

Reaction score
Check steering rack mounting for looseness

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
ok guys, so I replaced the sway bar links and the center sway bar bushings. I also changed the lower part of the upper shock bushing. I am going to get the upper part of the upper shock bushing next, the old ones were pretty wasted.

The slight tapping/knock over small bumps is gone when going straight, but still happens when I turn.

Any ideas what it could be?

Sounds to me like the classic intermediate steering shaft clunk. You can replace the ISS or "exercise" it. This can fix it for up to a year.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks! I will give that a try!

There's a 15mm (I think) bolt in the engine bay holding the intermediate and lower shafts together. Secure your steering wheel so it can't spin with the seat belt or a bungee cord. Pull the bolt out. Then take the ISS and push it towards the steering wheel. It will come out of the lower shaft. Now just push and pull that thing like Cindy Crawford is waxing her skis next to you, and put it back together. Take a spin and notice that stupid clunk is gone.

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
Well, you guys are great!

I "exercised" the ISS and the clunk is gone! thanks again!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons