Suggestions on towing a Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Correction, it WAS a great looking Tahoe. My brother David had it in showroom condition and he took great care of it. But my baby brother ran it into the ground, he NEVER waxed the paint or put a sealant on it, and now the paint is oxidized to all hell even though the paint is barely over 10 years old. Then he got in a wreck and messed up the front end. Destroyed the SS bumper cover and grill, and all the projector headlights and turn signals. He was supposed to get the corner caps for the Escalade roof rack painted to match the truck and he ended up losing them somewhere, so now they have been missing for a few years now. View attachment 183070 View attachment 183071 View attachment 183073 View attachment 183075 View attachment 183076
Over all it's still whole. I wouldn't be afrade to rebuild it!

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over all it's still whole. I wouldn't be afrade to rebuild it!
Yes, you are correct it is whole. And I am not afraid to rebuild it. But time and money are the biggest factors right now. Plus the fact that I have to move it over 340 miles to get it here to start working on it. And it needs a LOT of work. It has over 300k miles on it and it runs like shit (when it does run). My brother David passed away in August 2007, and truck sat for probably almost 2 years, mainly because he didn't have a will, and we didn't know how to get the title changed. But we all (my mom and all of my brothers) decided that the youngest brother should have it, and we eventually got the title straight.
But my youngest brother treated the Tahoe like a regular old vehicle, just something to get from point A to point B. He basically just put gas in it and got the oil changed every so often. And only had repairs done if it was something that prevented him from driving it. Then he got my mom's minivan when she passed away in 2015, so he didn't drive the Tahoe as much. Then after he got into the accident, he had someone help it try to fix it, so he had a new fender, bumper, grill and lights all put on to replace damaged parts. But the radiator support is twisted and bent, so that really needs to be replaced as well. He got fed up with it and ended up just parking it and drives his wife's Impala now, and she drives the minivan from my mom. So that's why I need to get it up here, because he is just going to let it sit to rot away now. ☹️
We talked about it a few months ago and the plan was that he would give it to me and it could be a project for me and my son, and then it could be my son's vehicle. But then that all went up in the air when my father-in-law decided to give my son his old 99 Silverado. The Silverado probably needs almost as much work. So we now have 3 vehicles in my driveway and I don't really have room for a fourth, unless I can figure out a way to get it into my backyard. So I need to figure out what to do with it if I do get it up here.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd sell the Silverado to pay for Tahoe transportation and parts. The Tahoe has sentimental value, the Silverado does not. If the FIL doesn't agree to that, then he can take his truck back and you'll simply be back where you were.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd sell the Silverado to pay for Tahoe transportation and parts. The Tahoe has sentimental value, the Silverado does not. If the FIL doesn't agree to that, then he can take his truck back and you'll simply be back where you were.

My FIL is a COMPLETE ******* and he will not agree to that. He told my son when he gave it to him that one of the conditions of accepting it was that he could not sell it, and my son agreed to that. But I have not spoken a word to him in the last month ever since me and him got into it. He flat out called me "lazy" because I have a bad back. I had a major back surgery barely two years ago, and he expects me to just be able to bounce back from it like nothing happened. Not only am I still in a lot of pain, but now I can't bend my back as far. Just putting my damn socks and shoes on is a painfully strenuous ordeal, and I usually have to ask my wife for help after I do one foot.
He is one of those old farts who thinks he knows EVERYTHING and the second you disagree with anything he says or does, or show him the correct way to do something, or even just prove he is wrong about something, he starts getting mad and all pissy with you.
He bragged about how he took suck good care of that 99, and he told my son that he better take good care of it too. He handed him a folder with all the "maintenance" he had done on it, but I dug through it and it's nothing more than Walmart oil change receipts, Quick lube oil change receipts, New tire receipts, and a few actual repair invoices for brakes, belts, an AC compressor replacement (which has already failed again I should add).
I helped my son change the oil a week after he got the truck, and there was a damn universal rubber oil pan plug on there because the oil pan is stripped out. That's what happens when the dumbass at the quickie lube uses an impact to tighten an oil plug on an aluminum oil pan. Then it has oil leaks from just about every gasket. The power steering fluid was basically gushing out (I repaired that already) and the suspension is COMPLETELY shot. Every bushing and all the ball joints and tie rods are beyond worn out. And EVERY body panel has body damage on it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get AAA Plus and drive it home in convoy with your other truck. If it breaks down, make sure you're within 100 miles of home for the "free" tow.

As for your FIL, your boy could part out the truck and push the carcass into the backyard under a tree. Probably make more money that way. Such would not violate his vow! :)

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got better pics of the headlights?

No, sorry. And because they were destroyed in the wreck I can't get you any. But I do remember replacing bulbs in them before, and they were made by "APC" which I believe is no longer in business. The projector used a H1 bulb for some reason. The parking lights used 3157 bulbs but there was a projector lense over the DRL bulb. Its sure didn't increase or focus the light, but it looked cool as hell with matching projectors in both the headlight and parking lights.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
No, sorry. And because they were destroyed in the wreck I can't get you any. But I do remember replacing bulbs in them before, and they were made by "APC" which I believe is no longer in business. The projector used a H1 bulb for some reason. The parking lights used 3157 bulbs but there was a projector lense over the DRL bulb. Its sure didn't increase or focus the light, but it looked cool as hell with matching projectors in both the headlight and parking lights.
Interesting, my projectors are apc but they take 9006.
Sounds like another unicorn of lights added to the list for our trucks. They stopped making all the cool lights for ours :(

Seen these parking lights before by ipcw with projectors in the turn signal light spot not the drl spot

cwc-ce16-a.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get AAA Plus and drive it home in convoy with your other truck. If it breaks down, make sure you're within 100 miles of home for the "free" tow.

As for your FIL, your boy could part out the truck and push the carcass into the backyard under a tree. Probably make more money that way. Such would not violate his vow! :)

This dude might be on to something. Use the front clip/core support, transmission, etc. for the Tahoe!

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, my projectors are apc but they take 9006.
Sounds like another unicorn of lights added to the list for our trucks. They stopped making all the cool lights for ours :(

Seen these parking lights before by ipcw with projectors in the turn signal light spot not the drl spot

View attachment 183289

The ones he had didn't have any orange reflectors in them. And the way the projector looked, it actually looked like a mini headlight projector. I doubt that we will find any info on these as he bought them back in about 2005 or 2006 .

This dude might be on to something. Use the front clip/core support, transmission, etc. for the Tahoe!

The core support would be the ONLY thing worth using off this truck, trust me. Both fenders have scrapes and dents on them, the hood is so oxidized that it would need to be stripped down to metal before painting it, and the transmission has DARK brown fluid in it, it would not surprise me if it's the original fluid from 1999.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons