Suggestions for a 2/3 drop on 2011 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011_LT_28

Reaction score
Hey all im sure its been asked multiple times but im looking for best combination or best kits for a 2/3 drop on my Tahoe, i have 26" rims that i will be putting on as i just sold 28s and im looking for a lower look now
I do need to be able to tow trailers such ads cars and or boats but also need the comfortable ride so please any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...i have 26" rims that i will be putting on...
I do need to be able to tow trailers such ads cars and or boats but also need the comfortable ride so please any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

26" wheels and towing cars/boats and comfortable ride all contradict each other. Either your roads are as smooth as glass or your idea of "comfortable ride" isn't what the majority has in mind.

If the stock towing capabilities are sufficient for your needs, then I'd advise against those Belltech coils in the rear as they are pretty soft. You will definitely need load bags or air shocks. Or, if your Tahoe has Autoride, it had better be up-to-*****. There are 3" rear drop coils that have a higher load capacity- DJM and McGaughy's are two suppliers that I know of.

Last edited:

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
Towing on 26's is a bad idea, period. Your brakes are already stressed because of the added weight as well as your Transmission and rear diff. Now your adding more weight into the mix which is a recipe for disaster, especially on your transmission unless you're planning on rebuilding it often.

Also, depending on the weight of the boat, trailer, car, etc. The 26's aren't going to hold up to the heat and weight very well, especially if you hit a pot hole. I can almost guarantee a blow out/bent rim will occur which can lead to a harry situation quickly. I'm also pretty sure that you're not going to find a 26" tire that is a proper LT rated tire for the towing capabilities that you need. Most 26" are a passenger rated tire and are not meant to tow.

Unfortunately, like iambub stated, 26's, towing, comfort and practicality don't mix.

Don't mean to sound harsh, just looking out for you and your families safety. I pull a 19ft 1971 Hallett Jetboat which is by no means light and won't even think about going over a 22" rim as I know the brakes, trans and rear-end wont be happy as they occasionally don't like the 20's when climbing a steep grade. That's even with a rebuilt motor, Transmission and upgraded trans-cooler.

As for the drop kit, I'd go with DJM 2/3 drop kit with there stiffer rear springs that are tow friendly and helper bags. This is what I am going with on my Suburban and should serve you well with what you have in mind.

Just my .02, don't want to see you damage your truck or worse yet, crash.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing on 26's is a bad idea, period. Your brakes are already stressed because of the added weight as well as your Transmission and rear diff. Now your adding more weight into the mix which is a recipe for disaster, especially on your transmission unless you're planning on rebuilding it often.

Also, depending on the weight of the boat, trailer, car, etc. The 26's aren't going to hold up to the heat and weight very well, especially if you hit a pot hole. I can almost guarantee a blow out/bent rim will occur which can lead to a harry situation quickly. I'm also pretty sure that you're not going to find a 26" tire that is a proper LT rated tire for the towing capabilities that you need. Most 26" are a passenger rated tire and are not meant to tow.

Unfortunately, like iambub stated, 26's, towing, comfort and practicality don't mix.

Don't mean to sound harsh, just looking out for you and your families safety. I pull a 19ft 1971 Hallett Jetboat which is by no means light and won't even think about going over a 22" rim as I know the brakes, trans and rear-end wont be happy as they occasionally don't like the 20's when climbing a steep grade. That's even with a rebuilt motor, Transmission and upgraded trans-cooler.

As for the drop kit, I'd go with DJM 2/3 drop kit with there stiffer rear springs that are tow friendly and helper bags. This is what I am going with on my Suburban and should serve you well with what you have in mind.

Just my .02, don't want to see you damage your truck or worse yet, crash.

Great feedback. So for those that may tow, 20's is the ideal max size to go. Curious on drops and towing. If I dont care about looks, but more handle, is there a difference with towing on a dropped truck vs stock or does the handling improvement come from the shocks mainly? Edging towards dropping for improved suspension.

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great feedback. So for those that may tow, 20's is the ideal max size to go. Curious on drops and towing. If I dont care about looks, but more handle, is there a difference with towing on a dropped truck vs stock or does the handling improvement come from the shocks mainly? Edging towards dropping for improved suspension.
I tow my little camper or 18' boat easily with a 3/5 drop and 26's. If we go on a longer trip, i'll throw my 22's on, but the truck handles just fine either way and my tires still wear evenly. I have helper bags inside the rear coils to help level out the truck and that makes a huge difference.

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little weight from whatever you're pulling actually smooths out the ride

OP
OP
2011_LT_28

2011_LT_28

Reaction score
Im going to get my wheels on and see how much i love or dont love the look of the front before i commit on buying any kits (for the fromt atleast) but thanks for all the feedback its all appreciated! Any and all knowledge i can take from this is always valuable!!

OP
OP
2011_LT_28

2011_LT_28

Reaction score
Got the rims put on yesterday and i love the look and how they ride so next question is from your all professional eyes would a 2/3 drop be ok or would it be too low? Also what would it look like if i just lowered the rear?

IMG_0931.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17