Suggest new Front Calipers (1996 2dr)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in the market for new calipers. Caliper has been sticking for a few months. My current calipers are the stock that came with the vehicle when it was new (got a lot out of them...they owe me nothing).

I have no problem going with ACdelco OEM's, but is there something else that others might recommend? I'll be upgrading the pads, but stuck on the caliper decision. I don't have an interest in going crazy. But if there is something slightly better than stock, I'd entertain it. A multi-piston caliper maybe, but not a $1000 setup. It's been fine for me for 185k miles, so...

Just stick with OEM? Or go aftermarket?

Thanks,
MWNT

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
If you're running stock size wheels, you've ruled out most aftermarket "big brake" options - most require 17"+ wheels.
That said:
  • a caliper with more pistons will give you more clamping force (more evenly distributed too) than OEM
  • an aluminum caliper will reduce unsprung weight and dissipate braking heat a little better
  • most will easily run $700+ (dual- and tri-piston options)
  • check your favorite supplier for availability and pricing (SummitRacing, Jegs, etc)

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the stock 16" rims on my 98 2 door. Changed out the front calipers maybe 2 years ago. Went with the ACdelco's from rock auto. Works great. But... I didn't paint them and now they are covered with surface rust. No big deal but still bugs the crap out of me when I get under the truck. Also there is a healthy core charge and return shipping can be a lot. Use the return shipping label from rockauto and it will save you a good bit. Ask me how I know...

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been fine for me for 185k miles

Hard to replace that kind of service, I would stick with what got you there, no better than AC Delco in my opinion. As above post by Will, good advise. JMHO and good luck.
David g..........:)

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I've got ~385k on OEM calipers... If you're wanting to upgrade your stopping power without going the big break route, I'd recommend upgrading to Hawk LTS pads and a quality slotted rotor (I've had good performance from PowerSlots).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442