Subs still not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright! Now we are getting somewhere. Yes first thing I would check the ground. Is it just a self tapping screw into metal? Or grounded under a bolt? Is it bare metal on metal contact like it should be? Is the wire connected good into each terminal? Try moving the ground to a seat bolt or something.

Amp will protect with bad ground so fix that. Should still work fine. Its a sony radio right? I have heard that sound from them. Just a shutdown sound. I believe you can turn it off in the settings somewhere

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright! Now we are getting somewhere. Yes first thing I would check the ground. Is it just a self tapping screw into metal? Or grounded under a bolt? Is it bare metal on metal contact like it should be? Is the wire connected good into each terminal? Try moving the ground to a seat bolt or something.

Amp will protect with bad ground so fix that. Should still work fine. Its a sony radio right? I have heard that sound from them. Just a shutdown sound. I believe you can turn it off in the settings somewhere
I just found a bolt under the rear seat and put it there, that's where I had the last one. The metal looks like it's painted black if that makes a difference. The radio has never made that noise until the amps started having problems and if I pull of the turn on wire it stops making the noise.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the video
My old Sony head unit used to make that same noise when I turned my car off. It was just letting me know it was off I guess. If I were you I would double check the ground. If it is not obvious enough, scrape away any paint or whatever at you point of contact. Also, put that volt meter on your fuse. Ground on the battery ground and positive on the fuse (side closest to the amp). That way you can tell if your connection is good at the battery. Then if that is good, put the positive to the amp, and put the ground at various spots (seat bolts, etc.) and see if the reading on the meter changes.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found a bolt under the rear seat and put it there, that's where I had the last one. The metal looks like it's painted black if that makes a difference. The radio has never made that noise until the amps started having problems and if I pull of the turn on wire it stops making the noise.

Yea well when messing with power wires and battery connections sometimes things can reset and go back to factory, which for sony is that annoying beep. Do you have a 4ch amp as well? So if you remove the remote wire then that amp won't be on so no beep

As for black paint, you don't want that. Scrap the paint away where the wire connector touches metal. Also check how well the ground wire is secured in the ring terminal. Make sure it isn't corroded. Maybe battery ground is corroded.

Sometimes when testing, I will pull amp out completely and wire it straight to the battery with new wire 2-3ft long, then hook a different source to it as well to make sure it isn't the amp.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea well when messing with power wires and battery connections sometimes things can reset and go back to factory, which for sony is that annoying beep. Do you have a 4ch amp as well? So if you remove the remote wire then that amp won't be on so no beep

As for black paint, you don't want that. Scrap the paint away where the wire connector touches metal. Also check how well the ground wire is secured in the ring terminal. Make sure it isn't corroded. Maybe battery ground is corroded.

Sometimes when testing, I will pull amp out completely and wire it straight to the battery with new wire 2-3ft long, then hook a different source to it as well to make sure it isn't the amp.
I got it to work!!!! I changed the ground spot and it fires up, my only issue now is the amp turn on wire won't turn the amp off unless it's connected straight to the battery, but I might go to advance auto and buy a switch

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got it to work!!!! I changed the ground spot and it fires up, my only issue now is the amp turn on wire won't turn the amp off unless it's connected straight to the battery, but I might go to advance auto and buy a switch

Congrats! As for the remote, check the radio wiring. Sounds like it's hooked to constant 12v instead of remote or acc power.

Also in your other posts, it sounded like you have a loose battery connection. Make sure to tighten them

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I agree with YukonXL04. Yellow wire is constant. You need to connect the remote wire to the blue wire. Probably labels as remote or power antenna or something like that.

And you said everything was wired correctly!!! lol Just kidding. Glad you got it working.

I would not advise in getting a switch. You are gonna forget to turn it off one day and have a dead battery.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! As for the remote, check the radio wiring. Sounds like it's hooked to constant 12v instead of remote or acc power.

Also in your other posts, it sounded like you have a loose battery connection. Make sure to tighten them
When the truck was on and hooked through the radio the amp wouldn't turn on, I'd rather just get a switch for now until I can get a more permanent solution

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I agree with YukonXL04. Yellow wire is constant. You need to connect the remote wire to the blue wire. Probably labels as remote or power antenna or something like that.

And you said everything was wired correctly!!! lol Just kidding. Glad you got it working.

I would not advise in getting a switch. You are gonna forget to turn it off one day and have a dead battery.
I did hook it to the blue wire but got nothing