Sub enclosure Idea!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got this posted in the General Forum, but I think it belongs here more:

If you're into tunes (and who isn't??), I had an epiphany last night, woke up out of a sound sleep!

Since your spare tire obviously doesn't fit under the truck any more (if you even have one), why not remove the mechanism for it, and all the other useless bracketry, and fabricate a sub box UNDER the floor?

Lay underneath it, and remove anything that isn't structural, or absolutely necessary. Then, drill a couple holes through the floor at the interior perimeter points, and play connect-the-dots from inside the truck. Cut out the center section of the floor. Then, since I know you are good at fab work, make a steel box that you can drop down inside that hole, preferably out of some heavier steel plate, maybe 1/8" thick. Since a typical spare tire is about 10-11" wide and doesn't hang down below the body, you could easily make the box that deep, or even a little more - just depends on if you want it to hang down a bit more.

Now, make some "passageways", if you want to call them that, to go from that enclosure forward, and protrude into the vertical section of floor underneath your second row of seats. Basically, you want a way for the output of the subs to enter the vehicle, without having to have them fire up in the cargo area. These "passageways" could be anything from multiple 4" round pipe, to a couple 6"x16" rectangular configuration. Whatever you wanted to fab, it's up to you.
Weld it up, make it water tight, and coat it with bedliner on the inside and out. Don't want it to rust!

Figure out how much airspace you have, and you can put whatever subs you'd like that would fit that requirement. Build a box out of MDF or plywood that will fit inside the steel box, and make some way for it to be securely fastened. If your box is tall enough, you could fit 10's (maybe even 12's) facing forward, with the output firing out underneath the rear seats. If you have enough room, you could even do 15's (or an 18!) firing upward - just make sure you have enough room for the full excursion of the sub(s). You could do a sealed enclosure, or ported - just make sure the ports have sufficient clearance. Me, I'd have the ports facing forward, towards the passageways - why not get the full output available?

Once you get everything all dialed in, cut the full back floor out of a donor vehicle, and lay it over the hole your enclosure is in. After you use some sound deadener everywhere you can, secure the floor panel with a couple dozen zip screws, and you can lay your carpet over your 100% stealth sub enclosure!

If I hadn't already built an enclosure into the rear corner of my Yukon XL, I'd be doing this in a heartbeat!

Maybe we can get one of our artistic brothers to do a quick sketch of what I'm suggesting?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I actually seen some pictures on the net of something similar that they did to a Tahoe, if you search the net you might find those pictures.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ive got this posted in the General Forum, but I think it belongs here more:

If you're into tunes (and who isn't??), I had an epiphany last night, woke up out of a sound sleep!

Since your spare tire obviously doesn't fit under the truck any more (if you even have one), why not remove the mechanism for it, and all the other useless bracketry, and fabricate a sub box UNDER the floor?

Lay underneath it, and remove anything that isn't structural, or absolutely necessary. Then, drill a couple holes through the floor at the interior perimeter points, and play connect-the-dots from inside the truck. Cut out the center section of the floor. Then, since I know you are good at fab work, make a steel box that you can drop down inside that hole, preferably out of some heavier steel plate, maybe 1/8" thick. Since a typical spare tire is about 10-11" wide and doesn't hang down below the body, you could easily make the box that deep, or even a little more - just depends on if you want it to hang down a bit more.

Now, make some "passageways", if you want to call them that, to go from that enclosure forward, and protrude into the vertical section of floor underneath your second row of seats. Basically, you want a way for the output of the subs to enter the vehicle, without having to have them fire up in the cargo area. These "passageways" could be anything from multiple 4" round pipe, to a couple 6"x16" rectangular configuration. Whatever you wanted to fab, it's up to you.
Weld it up, make it water tight, and coat it with bedliner on the inside and out. Don't want it to rust!

Figure out how much airspace you have, and you can put whatever subs you'd like that would fit that requirement. Build a box out of MDF or plywood that will fit inside the steel box, and make some way for it to be securely fastened. If your box is tall enough, you could fit 10's (maybe even 12's) facing forward, with the output firing out underneath the rear seats. If you have enough room, you could even do 15's (or an 18!) firing upward - just make sure you have enough room for the full excursion of the sub(s). You could do a sealed enclosure, or ported - just make sure the ports have sufficient clearance. Me, I'd have the ports facing forward, towards the passageways - why not get the full output available?

Once you get everything all dialed in, cut the full back floor out of a donor vehicle, and lay it over the hole your enclosure is in. After you use some sound deadener everywhere you can, secure the floor panel with a couple dozen zip screws, and you can lay your carpet over your 100% stealth sub enclosure!

If I hadn't already built an enclosure into the rear corner of my Yukon XL, I'd be doing this in a heartbeat!

Maybe we can get one of our artistic brothers to do a quick sketch of what I'm suggesting?
I saw some pics on here of that exact some mod. It was one of the random pics that come across the bottom of the screen. Unfortunately I can't remember the member's name.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been done plenty of times. Layitlow forum has an old how to dating back to the obs days, I'm sure photobucket killed those pics, lowriders been doing this for a long time

In fact a fella in the DIYMobileAudio forum did this to an 07 Esky which was brand new at the time. He also made custom enclosures under the front driver and passenger floorboards for 1-8" sub. Pretty kick ass install. I helped on a few in my stereo days. Cut out hole, weld up a sheet metal box with angle iron corners for strength, dynamat walls, insert pre-built sub enclosure without the face of the box, secure box with angle iron and bolts, install enclosure face, then trim it out.

Last edited:

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos