Stupid motor mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week it was the wheel hub, this week it’s the drivers side motor mount. I guess I try and tackle it Friday or Saturday. Anyone got any tips or tricks? I read the how to for the 4wd so I’ll try to follow it as much as possible, not sure if there’s any differences for a awd Denali.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oops read that wrong, no tricks for motors mounts that I know of some of those are a real *****

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops read that wrong, no tricks for motors mounts that I know of some of those are a real *****

Yea that’s what I have read. I just can’t justify spending the money to have someone do it without me trying first

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope... it sucks lol.
I was an idiot...had entire motor out decided to gamble with leaving them (about 50k miles on them), put long tubes on and it rubbed the frame. It may be slightly easier with the cast manifold but i'm not sure.
I used my engine hoist with a strap connected to a bolt threaded into the block down behind the power steering pump, may have even been the rear power steering mount bolt, 16mm head/10mm threads?. i only lifted it enough to get the mount out it really just rotates the engine off of that side.
taking the old mount out i just destroyed the heat shield to see the bolts going into the block, made them much easier to get out. the three going to the frame are pretty easy. getting the bolts back in the new mount to the block is a little tricky. would be alot easier to remove exhaust and work it from underneath , need an odd combo of extensions to tighten them up with the heat shield there.

2012 awd denali *

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to say your probably going to need a GOOD impact wrench, I f'd a bolt up last time I attempted to remove one gave up and went to the shop at that point wasn't going to try and make it any harder than that, I think they ended up cutting it off, lol which I guess is technically one trick if you have the skills

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’ll just take it to the shop for an oil change and get a quote

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its definitely a PITA if you are somewhat big guy. The angles and space to get to places is small. But there are a lot of videos on youtube helping with this. If you are RWD, you will wish you were. AWD is the worst for this. Before you replace that mount, look into the most recent thread discussions about mounts. There may be a heavy duty mount that should hopefully stop you from having to buy another one for a long time.

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its definitely a PITA if you are somewhat big guy. The angles and space to get to places is small. But there are a lot of videos on youtube helping with this. If you are RWD, you will wish you were. AWD is the worst for this. Before you replace that mount, look into the most recent thread discussions about mounts. There may be a heavy duty mount that should hopefully stop you from having to buy another one for a long time.

I ended up having the shop do the mount and transmission lines. Out the door at $650, think that was a good price to have to deal with it

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up having the shop do the mount and transmission lines. Out the door at $650, think that was a good price to have to deal with it

Can you verify what type of mount they installed? OEM? Anchor? If/when it goes bad, it will help with analyzing what brands seem to do better than others along with life expectancy.

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He put a oem in. Said he’s never had one break after replacing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts