Strange Popping noise when accelerating, braking and bumps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. after multiple shop visits to different shops, no one can give me a definitive answer either :banghead: I was just under my truck last week and noticed my CV boot was torn which none of them caught so that will be something I'm looking into.

Zigger21

Reaction score
First off, It's nice to see you all again! It's been so long. But I am here seeking some insight and kinda desperate help...
Here is the deal, I have a 2004, Chevrolet Tahoe Z71, 5.3. I have had this strange popping noise for at least 6 months, (Cold weather and Warm). It only happen when I hit bumps, accelerate quickly, braking etc... Little bumps in the road and you can sometimes hear it, It's a very distinct popping noise or like a clink? It FEELS like it is coming from the driver side towards the seat? So now you know what the noise sounds like, let me continue. I recently (about a month ago) had to replace the water pump because I was going through a gallon of coolant every 2 days... Once I had it replaced the NOISE stopped, completely. So I thought GREAT it was just the water pump, two birds with one stone! I was wrong... I was on the freeway going about 75, had a idiot pull out from the pull off lane with no blinker, I jerked my steering wheel to get out of the way... SURPRISE! It's back... The popping noise returned that night, and it seemed worse when I put more people in the car... So I took it to a shop and was told I needed new shocks, and I wasn't surprised because it had the original shocks and I am about at 180k miles. So I gladly spend 500 dollars getting new shocks (Top of the line), on my way home... It started AGAIN. I then went to about LITERALLY 7-8 Mechanics I had two say it was the Pitman Arm and the Idler Arm, then two others said it wasn't and that they are tight, I then had another tell me the Transmission Mounts needed replaced, Then I was told it was the Intermediate Steering Shaft(which is what I suspect.). No Mechanic can give me a straight answer... I have had two places keep it over night and spend HOURS trying to find the problem with NO luck.. I don't wanna throw parts into my Tahoe cause I can't afford that. To sum it up- Popping noise from the middle driver side when hitting bumps, dips, accelerating, braking, etc. New Shocks, and My car is a giant iceackle right now from the snow I got last night and it's like 5 degrees... But the noise is GONE as of right now only cause the cold (I'm thinking whatever it is popping has ice in it or something. But I KNOW it will return)... Anyone have ANY ideas of what it could be after explaining the above? ANY insight will be of GREAT help... I really don't know what to do...:confused:

If it only happenes on one side of the vehicle it poitns to the Driver side wheel assempbly, my first initial thought was a broken bolt the on the stabalizer arm. Is it worse when you turn one way more than the other. I would remove the wheel and imspect for any broken bolt attached from the stabilizer rod onto the wheel assembly. I know this is two different worlds but my 1997 and 1992 Bonneville had the same exact symptoms and I jacked it up removed the Front driver side wheel and looked at a rod with a couple grommits around the bolt that may have broken. The part cost $4.49 with the rubber spacers and alll ,Its worth checking out? I hope this helps/ Take Care. Jonathan

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grizzly

Grizzly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had another set of eyes look at it today, there leaning towards a broken bracket on the Rear differential... Having it checked tomorrow morning.

lefty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tagging along for updates, my 00 yukon xl has a similar issue

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it could be a mount for the trans, reason is it shifts when you accelerate , hit a bump , ect…

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Also what about the U-joints for the front shaft?

Dommmo33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Even though the mechanics said they checked the ball joints, idler and pitman arms are good, I would check them yourself. It is fairly easy to do. For the idler and pitman arms, while the truck is in park and running, have someone sit in the driver seat and turn the wheel with you under the front of the truck (without jacking it up). IF the idler and pitman arms move up and down ANY, if there is ANY play at all, replace both of them and have it aligned.

For the ball joints, jack the truck up on one side at a time, but don't use the lower control arm to jack it up. While it is in the air, use a large pry/tank bar, and using the bar and the ground for bracing, try to pry up on the lower control arm. When you do that, watch the upper and lower ball joints, if there is ANY play in them, I recommend having them all replaced.

I also agree with prying on the tortion bars. When the bushings or springs go bad they can cause intermittent noises.

But you MAY fix it with the body mounts as well.
I watched a you tube video and the problem most likely is the cross member bushing. They have to be air chiseled off then the new not comes with complete hardware.
This the ONLY cure to the popping noise under driver's side floor.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are reading old threads and cracking yourself up???????lmao.....too much time on the bowl........lolol
Actually if you look at post #17 (the one above mine for those that need direction), it wasnt me that revived this old thread. For you to even mention the possibility of me "on the bowl" just makes you a fool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts