Straight axle my front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casper1213

Reaction score
Im thinking about install a straight axle on my 99. But really don't know how much work that would Intel and if it would be worth doing in the long run.

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
It's a pain in the ass. Plenty of threads around on how to do it, but it's a lot of time and money.

OP
OP
Casper1213

Casper1213

Reaction score
Sounds like a challenge I like it lol. But is it as hard as doing it to a 90 suburban. Because if it is ill just lift it an call it a day. Cause I have the time. But I really don't know how much it would be on a 99 tahoe.

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
Weren't 90 model year Burbs squarebodies? They should've come with straight axles. Anyway, the OBS's (1995-1999) are IFS so there's a bunch of cutting and welding etc. required. I think there are kits, but again, it's expensive.

OP
OP
Casper1213

Casper1213

Reaction score
I had bought a 89 1/2 ton with a 454 an turned it into my mud toy an it was independent in the front.

lukc22

Reaction score
There are kits for whatever vehicle you have really... You just need to make some decisions first... What size tires are u gona run and how hard are you gone beat on it would probably determine what axle you need up fron... Also, do you wana go leaf or coil... driver or passenger drop.... I have a 97 with a solid front axle.... I didnt do the swap, bought it like that... I was researching it alot when I had a 99 z71 though

OP
OP
Casper1213

Casper1213

Reaction score
There are kits for whatever vehicle you have really... You just need to make some decisions first... What size tires are u gona run and how hard are you gone beat on it would probably determine what axle you need up fron... Also, do you wana go leaf or coil... driver or passenger drop.... I have a 97 with a solid front axle.... I didnt do the swap, bought it like that... I was researching it alot when I had a 99 z71 though
IV got a 99 and Im just wanting to put some 33s on her possibly 12.5 wide and Im not going to be beating on her all that bad being that she my daily driver/ grocery getter. Just looking to go out on trails with the kids an wife on the weekends an things like that. Would you have a ball park figure on price on a kit or axle. Im doing the labor part of it.

lukc22

Reaction score
IV got a 99 and Im just wanting to put some 33s on her possibly 12.5 wide and Im not going to be beating on her all that bad being that she my daily driver/ grocery getter. Just looking to go out on trails with the kids an wife on the weekends an things like that. Would you have a ball park figure on price on a kit or axle. Im doing the labor part of it.
To be honest, I wouldnt do an sas for 33's and weekend wheeling... I had 35's on an ext cab 99 z71 and it did just fine... You could do a body lift and fit the 33's... But to answer your question:
There are lots of ways you can go.... cheapest way is a dana44 front and keep your rear axle... A d44 would probably run you 400 and then you would want to rebuild it with new seals... you will have to regear, and get a different front driveshat.... Offroad designs will have an ifs to sas swap kit for around 800 i think.... then you need springs and shocks etc etc.... I think an SAS can be done for about 5 grand on the cheap cheap side...

Again, I would not do that for 33's and weekend wheeling.... If you are OK with spending 2k then get a badass 6" lift amd be done...

OP
OP
Casper1213

Casper1213

Reaction score
Yea I thing ill do the body lift then. And get a lift kit down the road. Tuanos man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99