Stock-to-Leveling Height.... Bilstein 4600 or 5100?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The shocks in my 125k mile '03 Yukon are definitely in need of replacement (I just picked it up in Feb with 122k on it). As far as I can tell, it's the original set of shocks.

I am planning to try and lift the front via the stock keys as much as "safely" possible (I don't want crazy driveline angles and such). I'll then match the rear to it via spacers as it seems easier to dial in the rear than the front.

I definitely want Bilsteins... the question is 4600 vs 5100. 5100 seems to claim it can be used on stock height to 2" of lift. I've read a ton and it seems that the 5100 may be a little softer...others report they are the same ride quality other than the 5100 is able to extend further.

Is there any reason to go with the 4600 over the 5100? Seems the 5100 may be the very same shock but allows for a little bit of lift? Am I giving anything up by using the 5100 over the 4600, even if I just had the vehicle at stock height? At a 1"-1.5" lifted height?

For what it's worth, I've driven my old man's stock '99 Tahoe with the 4600's and it rode well - I would be happy with that ride.

OP
OP
A

Atrus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read a ton on them and most information seemed to point to: 1) They'd be OK, even on a completely stock height vehicle, and 2) They are basically the same as the aftermarket 4600's, just longer.

Some of the issue seems to be that OEM's use Bilsteins and those are valved using the OEM's specifications. The aftermarkets are valved the same...I think that apples and oranges comparison muddies the waters a bit.

Anyway, I ordered a set of the 5100's for $272 shipped....they will be here this week. I need to get over to the pick 'n pull and get a set of Z71 springs to replace my ZW7 springs so I can get these put on.

OP
OP
A

Atrus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, just to chime back in with my update.

My old man has a '99 Tahoe that I put the yellow 4600's on last summer. I have an '03 Yukon that I put 5100's on about 2 weeks ago...

The 4600's on the Tahoe felt a million times better than my old worn out suspension. I couldn't believe how much better they felt. Really, a night and day difference.

I ended up getting the rears (5100) on my Yukon on first and drove like that for a few days. I did have the Nivomat rear shocks, so I picked up a set of new Moog 81071 springs as well. Noticeable difference, even with the old blown out fronts. I was happy and excited to get the fronts on.

I eventually put the fronts on, and while it's a massive improvement over the blown out front shocks, it rides like I picture a lifted truck would - floaty/springy ride. Now, I did crank my t-bars a little as the front end seemed saggy after 15 years and 125k miles. I haven't gotten it aligned...maybe some of that is contributing, but the ride seems floaty. The vehicle seems to bounce a lot...even pulling out of my driveway and going downt he curb it rocks a lot side to side.

Interestingly, though, it handles well...very little body lean in turns. Rides smoothly down the road. It's just that it has a "springy" ride. Seems to nosedive easily, and it really weight transfers to the rear when accelerating aggressively.

I've driven it for about 2 weeks like this and somewhat got used to it...and I drove my old man's Tahoe again last night...man, those 4600's seem so rough and harsh now. Every bump seemed rough. I was regretting the 5100's and wishing I went with 4600's...now I feel torn. I wish there was something in between the two. After last night, I don't think I'd be any happier with the 4600's - I think it's a "pick your poison" kind of thing.

Overall, the 5100's were a nice upgrade over my worn out stock shocks. I like the ride other than the springyness of them - it's smooth and controlled in the corners. It's very apparent to me, though, that they are NOT the same shock with the 5100's only being longer. They are valved very differently.

JoeM5952

Reaction score
In my reading most people say the 5100's are more floaty then the 4600's. I know bistein claims they are the same valving just longer but a lot of people seem to switch over to the 4600's and love them.

I put 4600's and z71 Springs on mine and love it compared to the zw7.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
So, just to chime back in with my update.

My old man has a '99 Tahoe that I put the yellow 4600's on last summer. I have an '03 Yukon that I put 5100's on about 2 weeks ago...

The 4600's on the Tahoe felt a million times better than my old worn out suspension. I couldn't believe how much better they felt. Really, a night and day difference.

I ended up getting the rears (5100) on my Yukon on first and drove like that for a few days. I did have the Nivomat rear shocks, so I picked up a set of new Moog 81071 springs as well. Noticeable difference, even with the old blown out fronts. I was happy and excited to get the fronts on.

I eventually put the fronts on, and while it's a massive improvement over the blown out front shocks, it rides like I picture a lifted truck would - floaty/springy ride. Now, I did crank my t-bars a little as the front end seemed saggy after 15 years and 125k miles. I haven't gotten it aligned...maybe some of that is contributing, but the ride seems floaty. The vehicle seems to bounce a lot...even pulling out of my driveway and going downt he curb it rocks a lot side to side.

Interestingly, though, it handles well...very little body lean in turns. Rides smoothly down the road. It's just that it has a "springy" ride. Seems to nosedive easily, and it really weight transfers to the rear when accelerating aggressively.

I've driven it for about 2 weeks like this and somewhat got used to it...and I drove my old man's Tahoe again last night...man, those 4600's seem so rough and harsh now. Every bump seemed rough. I was regretting the 5100's and wishing I went with 4600's...now I feel torn. I wish there was something in between the two. After last night, I don't think I'd be any happier with the 4600's - I think it's a "pick your poison" kind of thing.

Overall, the 5100's were a nice upgrade over my worn out stock shocks. I like the ride other than the springyness of them - it's smooth and controlled in the corners. It's very apparent to me, though, that they are NOT the same shock with the 5100's only being longer. They are valved very differently.

Are your jounce stops still in contact with your control arms?

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my reading most people say the 5100's are more floaty then the 4600's. I know bistein claims they are the same valving just longer but a lot of people seem to switch over to the 4600's and love them.

I put 4600's and z71 Springs on mine and love it compared to the zw7.

Did you put 4600's on all four corners and Z71 springs in rear?

Which model number did you use for the rear 4600?

JoeM5952

Reaction score
Did you put 4600's on all four corners and Z71 springs in rear?

Which model number did you use for the rear 4600?

I got them off craigslist but 4600's and z71 coils on the rear. Have done a couple of rough forest service development roads and did great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos