Stock Speakers w/ Aftermarket Amp ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us that cant afford a full system at once, I been looking at different ways to start the slow audio overhaul and it seems common to upgrade speakers before upgrading the amp in the car but I wonder how these stock speakers perform with an aftermarket amp. Many have already upgraded to the luxury bose amp and have seen significant improvement with how the car audio sounds. I wonder how it would be if we took it a step further. Granted the stock speakers probably cant take 100 watts each but with a responsible owner, gains super low, I wonder if these speakers would shine even more and when they do go, you can upgrade further then.

The big question is would you get more out of just upgrading amp vs just upgrading speakers? Price of changing all speakers can be just as expensive if not more than a descent amp upgrade. Also seems easier.

Thoughts? This is also assuming the Head unit has already been upgraded, I think that is normally considered the first thing to upgrade unless something else already failed.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Head unit

Speakers

Amp

in that order and that order only :thumbsup:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will just end up with blown factory speakers and have to replace them anyway, there is no way there going to handle 100w, so like Nathan said above^^^

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe him, he never lead me wrong so far :). I already was given this feedback by my audio friends but was so surprised how people got an improvement from lux amp and same speakers, I thought taking it a step further would make things that much better but even at the lowest level, its still too much.

swat2380

Reaction score
Kicker has a new amp with what they call Key technology. It's very small, low power consumption, will work at 6 volts for start/stop vehicles and has an amazing auto DSP, time alignment feature . It works great with stock speakers and you just retune as you change items in your system if needed. It comes with a mic and easy auto Cal instructions. I have installed them in everything from stock speakers to really good Focal, Gladen, HAT speakers etc. Kicks total a$$ for $200

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speakers are the weakvlink in the stock system regardless of which grade...especially so with age. Being made of the mostly paper they deteriorate rather quickly. Even the HU is mostly user related, sound is mostly handled by the amp and speakers, and in stock form the amp takes the win.

swat2380

Reaction score
The speakers are the weakvlink in the stock system regardless of which grade...especially so with age. Being made of the mostly paper they deteriorate rather quickly. Even the HU is mostly user related, sound is mostly handled by the amp and speakers, and in stock form the amp takes the win.
True but I can say alot of the stock speakers we remove and cut apart (to reuse the mounting adapter plate) are in great shape and a pain to rip apart. The Kicker Key amp isnt a fix all but a great low impact option with real results. Speakers make a great upgrade but there is a good amount of people happy with keeping stock speakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium