Stock Location Subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a factory box out of an 02 tahoe into my 04 tahoe with bose, already had the center console sub but i wanted a little more bump in the back. Used a kicker shallow mount 8 inch sub, and dremmeled out all of the indentations in the fake speaker grill back there. Since the 04 jack is mounted in there I had to drill 1 hole in the back of the sub box to accomodate a mounting stud and go the dealer to get the factory mounting nuts and bolts for the 02 sub box on top, they pop right into place on the 04 sheet metal. As you can see the jack still fits in there fine and i can get the mounting bracket on the jack still but it's tight. A little sticky weatherstrip foam from oreillys and it doesnt vibrate against the panel at all. Put the amp under the second row.
View attachment 81104 View attachment 81105 View attachment 81106 View attachment 81107 View attachment 81108

Awesome! Are you using stock Bose speakers? How did you mount the amp under the second row? How does the kicker sub sound (does it hit good on the lows)?

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bluebear15 Yes I am using stock bose everywhere else. Amp is mounted just using some black #8 screws into the plastic that covers the seat rails. The amp lined up nicely with the plastic I think I got 3 of the corners mounted securely. If I really wanted to get crazy I could have made a rack or stuck it in the quarter panel somewhere but I like it where it is. I think the kicker sounds decent, if I turn the gain up it definitely hits more than the stock amp but I'm not super into car audio so it could probably be adjusted better if I knew what I was doing lol. I used a line output converter tied into the wiring between the head unit and the stock amp, I heard it gets a better signal that way if you still use the stock head unit, rather than using the wiring between the stock amp and the stock sub.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bluebear15 Yes I am using stock bose everywhere else. Amp is mounted just using some black #8 screws into the plastic that covers the seat rails. The amp lined up nicely with the plastic I think I got 3 of the corners mounted securely. If I really wanted to get crazy I could have made a rack or stuck it in the quarter panel somewhere but I like it where it is. I think the kicker sounds decent, if I turn the gain up it definitely hits more than the stock amp but I'm not super into car audio so it could probably be adjusted better if I knew what I was doing lol. I used a line output converter tied into the wiring between the head unit and the stock amp, I heard it gets a better signal that way if you still use the stock head unit, rather than using the wiring between the stock amp and the stock sub.

Are you still using the stock stereo too then? I was just wondering if you got any feedback/interference with an aftermarket stereo on the stock Bose system.

Right now I just have an Alpine stereo in on the stock Bose system and I think the Bose amp is double amplifying it with the stereo and giving me interference static sound so was going to try to bypass it until I get the rest of my system in (6.5" Alpine Type-R component speakers all around on RF amp).

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bluebear15 The stock bose system is weird. I don't remember the details but its one of the reasons I still have my stock head unit. Most people when they do a new head unit they bypass the whole bose system and run new door speakers/amp/sub. Maybe someone with experience in putting a new head unit in a bose truck can chime in.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a DD Sony and left my Bose Lux amp installed, running all the speakers except the sub. I ran the sub output off the Sony to a mono amp and an MTX Thunderform enclosure with a JL 10" sub. Sounds awesome. I call it a hybrid lol not like a friggin' Prius hybrid but a kick-ass audio hybrid.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mizzouguy
I installed a DD Sony and left my Bose Lux amp installed, running all the speakers except the sub. I ran the sub output off the Sony to a mono amp and an MTX Thunderform enclosure with a JL 10" sub. Sounds awesome. I call it a hybrid lol not like a friggin' Prius hybrid but a kick-ass audio hybrid.

What wiring harness did you use?

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Are you still using the stock stereo too then? I was just wondering if you got any feedback/interference with an aftermarket stereo on the stock Bose system.

Right now I just have an Alpine stereo in on the stock Bose system and I think the Bose amp is double amplifying it with the stereo and giving me interference static sound so was going to try to bypass it until I get the rest of my system in (6.5" Alpine Type-R component speakers all around on RF amp).
I have a pioneer head unit wired into the bose system. I havent disconnected any of the bose parts, and the sound quality is pretty amazing.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd