Stock Location Subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe there was a stock sub in the back driver side plastic in the back but found out its just a fake plastic speaker grill (just above the spare tire jack). Has anyone ever tried to put a subwoofer there? What size would fit? 10"? Does an amp fit back in there? Thanks.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty expensive. Has anyone done anything on their own?
If you want inexpensive and still want it stealth you can get a stock sub box from a Bose system from a wrecking yard but they're only big enough for an 8". The amp can go under the middle row. I like the Thunderform because it relocated the jack and uses all the space so you can run a 10". I used my own amp and a JL sub and it hits hard. The problem with building your own is the space is convoluted so it's hard to get much volume unless you basically throw away the plastic interior and build a box like @BigDaddy13440 did.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want inexpensive and still want it stealth you can get a stock sub box from a Bose system from a wrecking yard but they're only big enough for an 8". The amp can go under the middle row. I like the Thunderform because it relocated the jack and uses all the space so you can run a 10". I used my own amp and a JL sub and it hits hard. The problem with building your own is the space is convoluted so it's hard to get much volume unless you basically throw away the plastic interior and build a box like @BigDaddy13440 did.

I might go the Bose route. Was the sub an option to add on the Bose system? I have Bose in my Z71 but just not the sub.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might go the Bose route. Was the sub an option to add on the Bose system? I have Bose in my Z71 but just not the sub.
Are you sure you don't have a sub in the console? There were different Bose systems with different locations for the sub according to the year of your truck. There was also the Lux and non-Lux Bose systems with the Lux being the top-of-the-line system which I believe was only in the Denalis and Escalades. But I'm pretty sure all the Bose systems had a sub. As for the rear sub box, I believe they were in the 99-02's and in 03 they started putting the sub in the center console and also downsized it. I could be off on those years. I wish you luck finding one of the stock rear sub enclosures, they might be getting hard to locate.

Edit: here's a link to a thread on the stock sub/ enclosure. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2002-yukon-xl-subwoofer.44450/

Last edited:

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Really wasn't that difficult, just took time to deaden the space between the inner and outer fenders - I used 8 cans of expanding spray foam, sprayed in the holes and sealed it off with tape while it expanded and hardened. After that, I used some Pella flashing tape I got from Lowe's, it actually has a rubber backing to it, it absorbs resonant frequencies. Sealed it up real nice, absolutely ZERO air leaks from the enclosure.

I'm considering dumping the (2) 4-ohm subs I have now, the amp I have is stable to 1-ohm loads. May run (2) dual voice-coil 10's, get the max power out of the Lightning Audio 1000.1D amp I have. As it is now, some low-end techno (Techmaster PEB and Bass Mekanik) gets my rearview mirror moving enough so I can't see out of it. If I were to double the power (going from a 2 ohm to a 1 ohm load) and using more efficient subs (the PB 10's are only rated at 87w/1M), I might reach 145db. A FAR, FAR cry from some systems that take up the entire volume of a Yukon or Tahoe, but more than enough to rattle my 46 yr old ass.

I may even add another two 10" subs in a custom center console, specs the same as the rear enclosure. I figure if (2) subs are good, then won't (4) be better????

Box 4.jpg

Box 1.jpg

Box 2.jpg

Box 3.jpg

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Really wasn't that difficult, just took time to deaden the space between the inner and outer fenders - I used 8 cans of expanding spray foam, sprayed in the holes and sealed it off with tape while it expanded and hardened. After that, I used some Pella flashing tape I got from Lowe's, it actually has a rubber backing to it, it absorbs resonant frequencies. Sealed it up real nice, absolutely ZERO air leaks from the enclosure.

I'm considering dumping the (2) 4-ohm subs I have now, the amp I have is stable to 1-ohm loads. May run (2) dual voice-coil 10's, get the max power out of the Lightning Audio 1000.1D amp I have. As it is now, some low-end techno (Techmaster PEB and Bass Mekanik) gets my rearview mirror moving enough so I can't see out of it. If I were to double the power (going from a 2 ohm to a 1 ohm load) and using more efficient subs (the PB 10's are only rated at 87w/1M), I might reach 145db. A FAR, FAR cry from some systems that take up the entire volume of a Yukon or Tahoe, but more than enough to rattle my 46 yr old ass.

I may even add another two 10" subs in a custom center console, specs the same as the rear enclosure. I figure if (2) subs are good, then won't (4) be better????

View attachment 78905

View attachment 78906

View attachment 78907

View attachment 78908
How did I miss this ? Is there a thread ?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 78905

View attachment 78906

View attachment 78907

View attachment 78908
I was saying it's hard to get enough volume and keep it behind the stock rear interior plastic so it's stealthy and invisible. If you don't mind it being visible like yours it's alot easier. Nice job though!