Still harsh after Bilstein 5100s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did leveling keys and Bilstein 5100s this morning and my burb is still harsh and shit hitting rough patches and the occasional bump. I got stock replacement for the rear and the 0-2.5 inch lift for the front. Thoughts? Could it be bushings? What about those jounce pads. Those are not touching.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Just did leveling keys and Bilstein 5100s this morning and my burb is still harsh and shit hitting rough patches and the occasional bump. I got stock replacement for the rear and the 0-2.5 inch lift for the front. Thoughts? Could it be bushings? What about those jounce pads. Those are not touching.

Start by getting the jounce stops in contact. You can get the Z71 ones if you don't already have them, or add a bump pad to the control arm.

CleverNDGuy

Reaction score
Have you considered springs?. I personally didn't want to do one without the other when it came to suspension/comfort.

I Just Recently Followed The Advise Of Some Of The Vets Here Just Recently And The Turnout Was Phenominal.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start by getting the jounce stops in contact. You can get the Z71 ones if you don't already have them, or add a bump pad to the control arm.

I have the z71 jounce stops already. I guess I need to order those energy suspension spacers?

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered springs?. I personally didn't want to do one without the other when it came to suspension/comfort.

I Just Recently Followed The Advise Of Some Of The Vets Here Just Recently And The Turnout Was Phenominal.

I had considered springs. I figured they’d get softer instead of harsh. What advice did they give? Don’t get me wrong... it rides a lot better and handles better too. It just still really harsh on bumps. It hard reall bad

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles?

Bushings and jounce stops checked out?

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles?

Bushings and jounce stops checked out?

Had it at a shop they said all bushings were good. I guess I’ll just change them all myself. Jounce stops are not in contact. Let’s build a Parts list and I’ll get busy.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your truck have rpo code ZW7? The self leveling shocks on the back? You can't replace those with regular shocks, as the spring design can not support the weight. I know you are more specifically addressing the front end, just wanted to put it out there.

If you adjusted your new shocks out for 2" of lift it should be 10x better. The only other thing that I can think of is you need to come off on your adjustment bolts a few turns. You don't want the torsion bar keys to be maxed-out in any instance. A little over halfway is the sweet spot from what I've found.

Have you had the wheels re-aligned yet? The control arms and sway bar links should all be loosened when you drop the suspension down. If you skipped that step then the alignment would also help when the tech goes to loosen-up all the pivot points and allows the CA bushings out of their bind. I hate that you didn't end up with a noticeable improvement regarding ride quality. The bump stop extensions will help with overall handling but it's not going to soften it up or improve the rebound.

Last edited: