Sterring wheel shake at 60mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjhjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a newb. Joined a while back but this is my first post. I have a 2002 Suburban LT with air ride, with 26 inch rims. The steering wheels shakes during highway driving. I had an alignment done, but it still shakes. Any opinions on what is going on? It shakes with the factory wheels also BTW. An input would be appreciated.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I agree with balancing WITH Road Force testing done, most places don't do that unless you request it and you can often have a tire AND rim that are out of round, the road force testing and adjustment will help to match them up better OR to determine if they are too far out of round to be smooth in the first place.

Another option that can cause this are the hub bearings on both sides for play as well, if the road force testing and balancing doesn't solve the issue check the hub bearings while you are checking the ujoints.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
If it's shaking equally with factory wheels I would have to guess it's the vehicle.
Like said above, it could be the hubs. Or maybe both sets of wheels/tires are out of balance.
Also could be lug torque or hub rings but I doubt it.

OP
OP
K

kjhjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sorry so late with the reply and thanks for the comments. I'm looking to have a few parts replaced on the front end.

OP
OP
K

kjhjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had lower ball joints replaced. Ride is better but not perfect. Getting new tires ion Thursday and having them put on and load balanced. We'll see what happens next.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881