Steering wheel upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+2 same here. matter of fact I don't remember seeing anyplace to install the puller.

Well, there are two holes, in the steering wheel frame, for some 'hooks' to go in. I installed the new steering wheel today, it took less than 15 mins (and that's with walking back and forth to the garage to get the right sockets (it is actually a 13/16", 21mm just has too much slack and I didn't try a 20mm. Come on, it's proudly made in Arlington TX it says pn the door.).

Anyway, that "Autozone, GM compatible steering wheel puller", ... yeah that one didn't fit... so I had to resort to Steve's wiggle method. With a little bit of an "Autozone pretend/induced roadrage" attitude, it came off in like 2secs flat. (Thanks Steve!!, for that tip.) I watched a youtube video up front, they showed using an Allen key, and if the other side snaps back in again... didn't happen, I put a "trim pry tool" in the side that came loose first. Putting 'everything' back together was real easy, and no surprises when I started the car.

It looks cleaner (of course it's new, my old one had the black rubberized stuff worn off). The radio controls seem to work. Phone button indeed mutes, (I think it's more like, phone button switches to a different input). The src button, changes src indeed, but when it gets to the FM/AM radio, it also goes through all the channels. (My GC has separate buttons for that).

I like the looks of it and when you're used to steering wheel audio controls it's a must have (I have been catching myself reaching for them (my Grand Cherokee has them). The price is a little stiff ($197.50 incl shipping), but hey ..... you at least don't look stupid, in front of a passenger, trying to push buttons that are not there.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, I've ordered quite a bit from Quirk, always good service. My original wheel is 22947799 which I gather the only difference being the brushed trim and the material is glossy. Still trying to confirm the heated wheel, think it ends with 79, still on the hunt.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, I've ordered quite a bit from Quirk, always good service. My original wheel is 22947799 which I gather the only difference being the brushed trim and the material is glossy. Still trying to confirm the heated wheel, think it ends with 79, still on the hunt.

Oh the steering wheel you have has brushed trim? Similar to the trim in our PPVs/SSVs ?

I wonder how that works, a heated steering wheel. Since I have been in there, I have seen the wiring. It seems that in order to heat 'something' one would need some thicker wires. I haven't seen anything like that. The only wires I saw was the audio controls harness and the airbag wiring.

I am wondering though, what you'd need a heated steering wheel for in FL? For when the temperature drops below 70 or so? :)

Ron

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an additional or different kind of wiring harness for the heating wheel and of course the left control adds the on/off button. I certainly don't NEED it, but it is nice to have. I drive with the heated seats on quite often. I'm old and creaky and it warms my bones. I keep the air in the truck in the 60s.