Steering Wheel Trim Writeup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

26slate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbump another 30 mins i tried and cannot get air bag out

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I haven't done mine yet but need to- the original covers are peeling (I know, I know- shocking). What was the answer to your question- is the allen key just used to push and release a clip or is there an allen screw in there?

The question was where exactly in the steering wheel am I pushing? The answer is: The surface right in front of the gap where you can push the pin/allen key several more inches in. ”Front” being closer to you and further from the dash.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to add to this

DO NOT UNPLUG / REMOVE THE AIRBAG WITHOUT DISCONNECTING YOUR BATTERY

I know some have done it and haven't had a problem but if that thing blows up in your face you are going to be a sad MF for the rest of your days on this earth. Airbags blow up on fireman even after an accident when they are trying to remove the trapped victim.

Last edited:

26slate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dom i just gave up...............but just cuz u said that im gunna try agin!! grrrrrrrrrr i might just have my guy wrap them rather than paint them gloss black this is driving me crazy!

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

screw it i give up there getting wrapped

26slate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i got it out..................note to self anyone looking to do this it not just " stick a allen wrench in the hole and push and it will come out" yes you use a allen wrench stick it in and point it kinda twards the steering wheel away from the dash not like a crazy amout and feel for tabs and play with it and feel around for them when your on the tab you can push it and feel its springy not ******* stick a allen in the hole and push...i called the owner at auto woods the guy who made the video on you tube how to remove the air bag....i hope that helps i messed with mine like 25 times its very easy.........hope that helps some one in need

zzpw3x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One thing to add to this

DO NOT UNPLUG / REMOVE THE AIRBAG WITHOUT DISCONNECTING YOUR BATTERY

I know some have done it and haven't had a problem but if that thing blows up in your face you are going to bad a sad MF for the rest of your days on this earth. Airbags blow up on fireman even after an accident when they are trying to remove the trapped victim.

I was thinking the same thing as I read through this thread and couldn't agree more. Airbags are like a loaded gun w/o a safety. It really could kill you.

I'm not a safety freak - life is not risk free, but no need to be stupid.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a mechanic I'm always nervous about removing an airbag. Static electricity could set the damn thing off.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i got it out..................note to self anyone looking to do this it not just " stick a allen wrench in the hole and push and it will come out" yes you use a allen wrench stick it in and point it kinda twards the steering wheel away from the dash not like a crazy amout and feel for tabs and play with it and feel around for them when your on the tab you can push it and feel its springy not ******* stick a allen in the hole and push...i called the owner at auto woods the guy who made the video on you tube how to remove the air bag....i hope that helps i messed with mine like 25 times its very easy.........hope that helps some one in need

Best ****** post in this thread:fuckyea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts