Steering Wheel Trim Writeup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To go from this... :Plugged:
2f4ecae0.jpg

To this!!!
4e98fc58.jpg

Tools:

Torc 30 and Torc 15 sockets
Needle nose pilars
Long skinny allen wrench

Stick the allen key in a small hole to release the airbag, there is one on each side, its recommended to disconnect the battery before doing any of this but it's not necessary and can be completed fine without it.

5ca83df0.jpg

The airbag will then release and the mounts will make much more sense once you get a feel for where the clips are with the allen key. At this point disconnect the airbag with the two clips, you can't mess it up they are color coded. Use the needle nose for the airbag wires, but dont press hard.

44f2217c.jpg
581dc3ca.jpg

Remove the four large nuts with the torc 30 bit, they will not come apart from the main bracket.

0294b577.jpg

Then disconnect this wire.

70c64572.jpg

Here is what it looks like removed.
Remove the four ground contacts for the horn.

a4695783.jpg
d666b1a2.jpg
f2a43258.jpg

Then remove the radio and cruise control controls if you have them. Then reattach them to the new trim pieces.

eaf76530.jpg

Should look like this.

dd0d045c.jpg

Reattach the trim pieces.

437a8556.jpg

Reattach the bracket that holds the airbag and wires.

And finally press the airbag back into the clips until they lock, if you didn't disconnect the horn it will go off.

4e98fc58.jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can you get these? Would LOVE to get a hold of a couple of these pieces in woodgrain!

rpuddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't need to unhook the airbag - just set her on top of the column.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I could use a little help on step 1. I've been using a long allen key, as instructed, but can't seem to figure out how to get the front cover and airbag off the steering wheel. Is there a specific item I'm suppose to feel for, or do I need to push or pull a certain way? Is there a trick I don't know about that I should be using? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442