steering wheel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has changed out their steering wheel from one with no radio controls, to one with radio controls, and will the radio controls magically work. or need new wiring or a trip to the stealer for a BCM flash? I have the stock base radio. just kinda wondering. My Impala had the radio controls , I kinda miss the convenience.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been done, I think you'll need the clock spring to get the controls to work as well. I'll try to do a search and see exactly what you'll need...

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it in a Silverado and it was all there. I vaguely do remember like Nathan said that there is more than one style clock soring.

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I just changed out my rubber steering wheel with a nice leather wrapped one from eBAY. Easy, nothing to it, a 15 minute job. The radio controls now work. (old wheel did not have radio controls since it's a ssv police model) Now I need some help, now on the DIC I get a Service Air Bag message any Ideas or do I need to recheck my wiring? oh and to nathanjax the only difference I could find in the clockspring was if you have a heated steering wheel.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and to nathanjax the only difference I could find in the clockspring was if you have a heated steering wheel.

That could be correct. I remember there being different ones, just not what the difference was...

:thumbsup:

Spanky

Reaction score
as said, changing the wheel is simple,and just plug in the wheel and radio controls will work.