Steering wheel removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have done this on a couple different vehicles.
i left my battery disconnected for about a half hour as well so the airbag doesnt blow your face off :)
mine was an OBS and the second i did was my Lexus. The OBS was my first and i rented the puller but probably didnt need it. The second i did was my Lexus. and that one once i got the nut off, i just yank at like 12 o clock once pretty hard and then at 6 o clock the same and it pops right off the spline. Just made sure i took a picture and mounted the other on at the exact same position etc..
probably took me just over an hour or so.

pics of the GMC install (yours might be a little different being NBS)

tabs to release on back under sides of wheel to release the horn face/airbag

s1.jpg

unplug airbag

s2.jpg

remove nut

s3.jpg

steering wheel puller

s4.jpg

wheel off

s5.jpg

billet adapter

s6.jpg

billet wheel with no airbag mounted on that one and it was done

and.. just because :) here's my interior before and after.

s7.jpg

after

s8.jpg

here's a before and after of my lexus two tone transformation with a silk blaze woodgrain wheel

Car12.jpg

after

g258.jpg

Hope some of that helps. Pretty much the same process you might go though

Did you get a new one from AutoWood? i was thinking of getting one that matches my interior but with the additional woodgrain from them and what they charge.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove my Tahoes' steering wheel and replace it with an Escalade steering wheel...I don't seem to have the holes on the sides of the steering wheel where you would put an allen key in to release the air bag cover. From what I can see, it looks kinda like your OBS steering wheel setup on my 01 Tahoe...I'll see if I can push on those tabs to release the air bag cover

Last edited:

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to remove my Tahoes' steering wheel and replace it with an Escalade steering wheel...I don't seem to have the holes on the sides of the steering wheel where you would put an allen key in to release the air bag cover. From what I can see, it looks kinda like your OBS steering wheel setup on my 01 Tahoe...I'll see if I can push on those tabs to release the air bag cover

What year is your ride?

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your ride?

My Tahoe is an 01 and the Escalade is an 02...neither have the holes on either side of the steering wheel, not sure if their are bolts or something I need to remove??? funny how I gutted both trucks over the weekend but can't figure out how to remove either steering wheel :pp:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont