Steering wheel removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the steering wheel on a 15+? I have a the well known steering pop, click, catch feeling going on with our 15 XL and while I was hoping to get GM to cover the "known" fix, it's not going to happen. I figured rather than spending close to $400 for the repair, I may tackle the TSB myself. It seems straight foward once the wheel is pulled and lock plate removed...same as previous model GM trucks and other brand vehicles.

Howver, I'm just wondering if there's anything goofy that I should be aware of before giving it a go. I have the tool to remove the clip that locks in the spring.

The TSB totals about $50 in parts.

1 26055299 SPRING 065210
1 15231641 SEAT 065210
1 26001827 BEARING 065210 (actually leave the bearing in place, just replace the race.

TIA

OP
OP
A

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone? I'm assuming it's the same process as the 2014 sierra/silverados?

Bo3131

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the steering wheel on a 15+? I have a the well known steering pop, click, catch feeling going on with our 15 XL and while I was hoping to get GM to cover the "known" fix, it's not going to happen. I figured rather than spending close to $400 for the repair, I may tackle the TSB myself. It seems straight foward once the wheel is pulled and lock plate removed...same as previous model GM trucks and other brand vehicles.

Howver, I'm just wondering if there's anything goofy that I should be aware of before giving it a go. I have the tool to remove the clip that locks in the spring.

The TSB totals about $50 in parts.

1 26055299 SPRING 065210
1 15231641 SEAT 065210
1 26001827 BEARING 065210 (actually leave the bearing in place, just replace the race.

TIA

I have this same issue but haven't had a chance to take it to the dealership yet. How come they won't cover this under the warranty?

OP
OP
A

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They won't cover it under warranty because at some point they want you to assume full ownership of the vehicle including all repairs.

I know I'm mean sorry !

I realize that's what they want and that's my point. I've had many other vehicles (different manufactures, obviously) and regardless of warranty, if it's a very well known issue with long TSB history, they would honor the repair in good faith especially when the vehicle was within the first 36mos. This steering issue is due to defected parts and a good % of the 1st half of 15s have the issue.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Do you deal with the dealer that sold you the truck? Goodwill on the dealers behalf can mean a lot toward your decision to buy from them again, maybe they might split the bill with you, or cover the parts. It's worth looking into.

OP
OP
A

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, only because I was in a different state when we purchased. I am sure that would help.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Yea that can make a difference. I remember I bought a Used Buick Roadmaster wagon with a bad seatbelt, I went to my Local Buick dealer thinking that since it was a safety item they might help out, They looked at me and asked did I buy the car from them? what a stupid question.
because when I wrote service, the factory Reps figured it was cheaper to give the guy a working seatbelt than to get involved in litigation.

from a dealer standpoint you only have one chance to make a customer, and they blew it. that stupid dealer blew it twice, I wrecked my Buick, I called their Body shop and got a frickin answering machine, called My Chevy dealer , they answered the phone and said sure bring it right in. Long story short I've been trading there for over twenty years. The buick dealer never got a dime from me. Go ahead and show this to your local Dealer I bet he does something for you. Just my 2cents worth!!!!

signing of now I gotta go eat!!!

Bo3131

Reaction score
I ended up finally taking mine in last week to have them look at it. They ended up replacing the spring and bearing like you were talking about and was covered under my warranty. Now my steering wheel pops even more then before. Looks like ill be taking another trip to the dealership.

OP
OP
A

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up finally taking mine in last week to have them look at it. They ended up replacing the spring and bearing like you were talking about and was covered under my warranty. Now my steering wheel pops even more then before. Looks like ill be taking another trip to the dealership.

Good to know before I dive into. If you could please let me know what they discover with 2nd repair. THanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts