Steering box shaft misaligned!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hertahoe

Reaction score
So I was replacing the pitman arm and both steering shafts. I recently replaced all front suspension parts and couldn’t get pitman arm out at the time. I followed the TRQ guide and removed the steering box. Put new pitman arm on, torqued bolt to 180ft lbs and put it back in truck. Tightened the 3 bolts holding box to frame and pitman nut. Went to top of motor to put in lower bolt to shaft and the steering box shaft was turned and facing passenger side. How did that happen? Been searching for solutions but can’t seem to find one. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! At my sons la crosse game so can’t respond for a while.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@hertahoe, am I misunderstanding you? I would assume there is a locating spline(s) that allow you to install the pitman arm in the correct place on the shaft. That shaft turns and may have moved when you installed arm.I would have just recentered the arm/shaft and mounted the box.

OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
@hertahoe, am I misunderstanding you? I would assume there is a locating spline(s) that allow you to install the pitman arm in the correct place on the shaft. That shaft turns and may have moved when you installed arm.I would have just recentered the arm/shaft and mounted the box.
I was very careful when I removed the pitman arm and reinstalled the new one to make sure nothing moved. Maybe I missed something. I will remove the box and see if I can do what you mentioned! I just don’t want to make things worse. Of coarse, I have to have it ready for Monday…Thanks for the suggestion.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sometimes the location splines are in 4 places around the shaft and you may have reinstalled the pitman arm 90 degrees off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosn