Steering Angle Sensor Reset After Steering Rack Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

db0514

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently replaced the power steering rack on my 2007 Yukon XL 2WD. I now get the following warnings:

Stabilitrak Off
Traction Control Off
Service Stabiltrak
Service Traction Control

Initial Google research points me to resetting the Steering Angle Sensor. Can anyone confirm this? If it is required, can anyone provide instructions?

Following the swap I had a independent mechanic do a front end alignment. I hoped they would do the reset for me, but no such luck.

Thanks.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get this figured out? I think I may need to do the same on my 2004.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get this figured out? I think I may need to do the same on my 2004.
You're asking someone who posted one time and that was over 2 years ago. Anyway, what makes you think you have a problem with the steering position sensor? I've replaced a defective one in my 08 Silverado so I have some experience. There's a specific DTC for the sensor. Have you pulled codes?

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're asking someone who posted one time and that was over 2 years ago. Anyway, what makes you think you have a problem with the steering position sensor? I've replaced a defective one in my 08 Silverado so I have some experience. There's a specific DTC for the sensor. Have you pulled codes?

I wouldn't have to if people would come back after a while and share what they found out.
Okay so long story short I just replaced my pitman arm on my 2004 and I ended up having to remove the intermediate steering shaft to get the steering gearbox back into position. When I did that I wasn't aware you're not supposed to move the steering wheel and I turned it a bit. Now with everything assembled as soon as I turn the steering wheel I get a message saying "service stability". Some research tells me I may just have to reset the steering angle sensor.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have to if people would come back after a while and share what they found out.
Okay so long story short I just replaced my pitman arm on my 2004 and I ended up having to remove the intermediate steering shaft to get the steering gearbox back into position. When I did that I wasn't aware you're not supposed to move the steering wheel and I turned it a bit. Now with everything assembled as soon as I turn the steering wheel I get a message saying "service stability". Some research tells me I may just have to reset the steering angle sensor.
Most people here do come back and update, and when they do I try to thank them for doing that. As far as the sensor, you are correct that the steering wheel can't be moved when you pull the column or ISS. They make a tool for that or you can use duct tape around the steering wheel-to-column like I did. According to my subscription to alldatadiy.com if the wheel is turned while doing this work, you need a new sensor. It comes with a pin to keep it centered until it's installed. You should get a subscription to alldatadiy so you have access to the service manual for your truck or else you might find the info on the web from someone who has the info on your year. Unfortunately mine is only for my 08 CC. Good luck.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at the instructions again and at least on mine it depends on which sensor you have. Some have centering marks and some don't, depending on which sensor you have. It shows 2-3 different types and you're supposed to make a mark if it's the type without one. I would buy a new sensor, they're not that expensive and you have to pull the column to get at it, so at that point a new sensor would guarantee you don't have to do it again.

1. From the technicians point of view, the FRONT of the sensor will have:
    1. A foam ring (2)
    • A pin hole (1) for centering the pin-Note the location of the pin hole.
    • A flush rotor flange cuff (4)
Important: If reusing the existing sensor, you must make an alignment mark on the rotor flange cuff (3) before removing the sensor. Failure to do so will cause misalignment when installing the sensor. A new sensor will be required if misaligned.

1. Make an alignment mark on the flush rotor flange cuff (3).
  2. Remove the connector from the sensor.
  3. Remove the sensor from the adapter and bearing assembly.
  4. To install the sensor, proceed to step 5 in the installation procedure.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dealer was able to confirm I need a new sensor. It sounded to me like they tried to reset the modules that the angle sensor connects with and that didn't work. I think they also said the angle sensor itself can't be reset. That seems crazy to me but I don't know a whole lot about them.

Based on some light research and what the dealer told me your instructions seem spot on for my model year too. Thanks for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts