"Stability Sys Disabled" and "Engine Power Reduced"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGBarham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Denali that has started giving the message "Stability Sys Disabled" then "Engine Power Reduced" and cutting your maximum speed to thirty miles per hour. The first time it happened restarting the vehicle had no effect on the problem. I took it to my local Chevy dealer, and his computer showed "no history" of an event. They could not find anything related to the message I reported. They did find that my rear suspension air compressor needed replacing, which I was already aware of, but I was told the two were more than likely unrelated. I went ahead and replaced the compressor, because I tow a large boat with this truck. A couple of weeks after this repair work the error messages happened again, and the engine power was reduced. I did a little research on the internet, and found that if I would disconnect the negative battery terminal for ten minutes, it would reset, and I could drive it at normal speed. This worked. The last time it happened, my son was driving it, and he was able to turn it off and restart it, and get it to return to normal function, which we had not been able to do either of the prior two episodes. Very strange. Any Ideas. I need to take it back to the dealer, but they haven't been able to make any headway.

Last edited:

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fuel pump or filter?

connector loose underhood?

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep...same thing happened to mine....and when you hit the gas..it bogs down..

its fuel pump/filter and/or clogged(destroyed) catalytic converter!

LazyAssLou

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This shit happened to me this past weekend after a 5 1/2 hour trip. I didn't stop at all. I guess my truck over heated then threw the "reduced engine power" code to me, but it happened after I had already got to my destination, turned the truck off for about 15minutes, then decided to go to Wal-Mart. I did what the manual told me, changed the oil and added more coolant, also did the thermostat. Then 3 days later I made the 5 1/2 hour trip back home and it didn't act up on me at all. I guess the coolant was low when I first left on my trip that made the engine heat up, the coolant was the one thing that I didn't check before I left that day.

rktig86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Assuming your engine isn't overheating, you are probably having the same problem I had. Our Yukons have, as do most late model vehicles, a fly-by-wire throttle instead of the traditional throttle cable. My problem was coming from a poor connection at the electrical connector near the intake that is responsible for carrying the signal from the accelerator pedal. All i did was unplug it, clean the contacts and plug it back firmly and i haven't had a problem since....

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
I've had it happen to me before too. TOok it too the dealer and they couldn't find anything either. They said it could be a sign the battery is going bad.

Tmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reduced power

This is done to keep the engine from self destructing. It could be a fluid issue, battery, or converter if one. Please don't ignore this. Stop and check the engine. Once you have addressed the problem, it's all ok.

joefrog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine gave the same problem on Friday night. No clue why; I had just got home from work, went inside for twenty or so minutes, then we all piled in the car to go for dinner. Didn't make it around the block -- had to go back and switch cars.

I checked it over the next morning, and no fluid levels are off, it was not overheated. No clue. Hasn't done it again, but I would be interested in knowing where those connections are loc

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the vehicle, i have an 03 yukon and there are connections at the pedal sensor the tac module on the driver side firewall and at the sensor on the throttle body.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my Throttle Body all together.. Tried all the "Easy fixes" or cheap fixes I should say

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts