Stabilitrac Gone Crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwing

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum. Have a 2007 tahoe LT. Got some scary stuff I want some advice on.

A couple weeks back the steering started getting stiff spots at slow speeds. I turned to the net because fluid and rack looked good with no pump noises. Found a bunch of horror stories about stabilitrac going nuts at speed and crashing or close to it.

I discovered the lowerer steering knuckle boot was torn and the joints were caked with dust. Cleaned 'em out and greased 'em up, no more stiff spots. But those stories stuck with me as a mental note.

This morning I turn the truck on and put it in gear and the dash goes ape. Stabilitrac light comes on, parking brake light comes on, and message screen reads trac [something] error. The ebrake was not on btw.

I shut it off and started it back up and the stabilitrac is now off and won't reset... nothing.

But i have no check engine light, which all of the horror stories said they had.

Truck's driving OK, but I'm worried about putting my wife behind the wheel until I know what's going on.

Suggestions? Tests I can run to pin it down? Will the stabilitrac throw codes on the OBDII?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have it checked with a scanner that will read the wheel speed sensors and see what's going on at least for starters, if it flaked out there should be some data saved even if the light is not currently on, just my 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe