Spooky. My super slow truck build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my surgery on Aug 15th. All the doc will let me do now is walk around the yard. So now I walk past Spooky over an over while walking my mile. It just looks at me as if to say," What the heck man, FIX ME."

I want to work on it so bad I cant' stand it. Don't want to undo the surgery and wind up sliced open again.
Take your time, man, and get healed up as much as possible. Seems like you're always fighting back problems but let's hope that once healed you're better for a while. The truck will still be there when you're healthy :)

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
You got one hell of a deal on that short bed. Very nice shape. I can't beleave it's that hard to find a diecent 5.7 there. But sounds like what you have now is good. You have got a good amount done. Once your healed up you will finish "spooky" and finially get to enjoy it.

Subscribed

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your time, man, and get healed up as much as possible. Seems like you're always fighting back problems but let's hope that once healed you're better for a while. The truck will still be there when you're healthy :)

I was in a bad wreck back in 2000. Had back problems ever since. Every doctor I have gone too just said I was too young to hurt that bad and blew me off.

I had a doc ( I called hot doc she was awesome) who was at the point of scheduling me for an MRI, but she went into early labor and then decided to stay home with her kids. Can't blame her.

New doc wanted to start the same BS tests over again till I threatened to put him in the floor and show him wat pain felt like. Amazingly enough I was in an MRI machine the next day.

3 herniated disc one that was strangulating my spinal cord (my boys were hurting all the time). no fun. Had to fight the surgeon into get scheduled he wanted to drag it out till December. A loittle screaming and I was scheduled for the 15th of August. Now I just have to heal.

Before surgery I could barely walk 50 yards without being in tears. Now I can go almost 2 miles in circles round and round the yard. - 1 lap is .10 mile.

You got one hell of a deal on that short bed. Very nice shape. I can't beleive it's that hard to find a diecent 5.7 there. But sounds like what you have now is good. You have got a good amount done. Once your healed up you will finish "spooky" and finally get to enjoy it.

Subscribed

I can sling a dead cat and hit 4 good 5.7s problem is being able to afford them. We have been living on my disability while Steph got through college and got a job. Yippee she has a job. now we just have to survive till her first paycheck. The copay for surgery was rough.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Sounds like so far your on a good road to recovery. I can't wait to see the truck finished as I am sure you do too. You down and out for a few more weeks ?

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like so far your on a good road to recovery. I can't wait to see the truck finished as I am sure you do too. You down and out for a few more weeks ?
Can't do anything (including drive :( ) till teh doc appt on the 7th IF he releases me.

I stepped in a hole in the yard yesterday and thought I was going to wind up in the ER. It was unpleasant.

I am off all pain meds and muscle relaxers - which I couldn't take during the day anyhow because of being home with the 4 year old. Fortunately he is a good kid and took care of me. He got me food and drinks and anything else I wanted then laid in the bed with me and watched TV.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You're doing a great job! Just take your time, no need to rush things. This is great dad and son quality time! By the time he's 10 he'll be building his own engine from all the knowledge he got from his old man ! Damn good job .

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Killer thread and build info. Great quality family time. Get better soon. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I now have 4 non running trucks in the infirmary. Spooky (which needs to be finished), a 95 Suburban that needs head gaskets, a 94 S10 Blazer whose transmission shit the bed (again) and my neighbors 98 S10 that blew a rear main seal yesterday while I was driving to pickup Heath from his first day of school. The 655k S10 pickup is still plodding along like a good plow horse.

I did get released from the doc on Wednesday to do light work. That includes head gaskets and transmission removals right?

I moved Spooky yesterday (dragged it backwards with the 95 Suburban. I swear if I had a huge tank for water I could drive it anywhere) and mowed where it had been sitting with my 74 Gravley on its lowest setting. Think of 2 day stubble short. Then put the replacement tarp up on the frame for the old tent building that a tree fell on. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

Dropped a brand new Zippo somewhere while doing it. Can't find it anywhere.

I had called about a 95 Suburban that I was going to use for parts. We went to look at it last night.

We needed gas and I needed to fill the tractor can so we stopped at QuikTrip. We left and hit the interstate. On the ramp I heard something, but didn't see anything that would have made the noise. When I got on 85 a woman in an orange SUV pulled up next to me and said something flew off my truck. I looked at the dash and my heart sunk. Like a complete fool I had laid my wallet - complete with $1000 cash - on the roof.

I snatched the truck to the shoulder, slammed it in reverse and smoked tires backwards. Soon I realized that I could not back to the ramp, nor could I walk because there was literally no shoulder on a bridge.

First gear, clutch dumped, many many laws broken, 2 miles to the next ramp ( solid cement barricade in the center 6 feet tall) raced to the south bound ramp and then played Formula One back to exit 17. There in the center of the on ramp was my wallet, all its contents in tact. If I ever see that orange SUV again I will run if off the road and hug that woman till her eyeballs fall out.

Turns out the suburban was a POS. Full of cigs front to rear. NO spark, blown apart exhaust. NO GO. Maybe if I had another runner, but not now.

I checked yesterday and the baby birds are gone from thenest under spookys battery tray so I won't feel bad about yanking it out and working on the truck.

Now I have to go out and put the hitch back on the 95 so I can go down in the field and get my big trailer to put the 98 S10 up on as a redneck lift. Much easier than crawling on the ground.