Spooky. My super slow truck build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will copy and paste this from another site. Hopefully all the pictures will work. So here are lots of posts.

I had a woman call me to come clear some scrap metal out of her yard. Under a tree was an 88 Chevy short bed with about 3 feet of pine needles covering it. I gave her $500 and left with it. It had to work on the way home. We loaded 4 work benches on it. I towed it behind my 94 Chevy Suburban that died shortly thereafter. The little S10 is my wife's 500K mile S10 still doing work.
7m0LyMK.jpg
It sat in the yard for a few weeks with no real hurry to get it on the road. We started it up and it smoked like a house on fire. It also had no brakes. That was a fun test drive.
RZrSOip.jpg
Then the 454 in the Suburban decided it was time to retire.It has a mystery electrical fault that will not let it go past 2500 rpm. ( and before the suggestions come rolling in on fixing it - yes I tried that) It left me with no work truck. So rather than fix the 11 MPG beast I decided to get the 88 on the road.
W9AiecL.jpg

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the engine.
It was covered in grease and oil and grunge from a massive oil leak. Some Purple Power and a pressure washer and it looks pretty good. Still have some cleaning to do.
YBLEYcE.jpg
Decided to hose the outside off too.
Most of the pine sap and mold came off on the first pass.
lTFmuuD.jpg
I bought an engine.

Guy said it was perfect. Got it home. One cylinder was full of water and it had 60psi compression on 2 cylinders. If I wanted to rebuild one I would rebuild mine (which will happen eventually). Took it back and got my money. I was called every name in the book. I was bigger than he was so I got my money and left.
qaJWbip.jpg

So if you are not too far from Charlotte NC and have a cheap 350 let me know.

While I am looking for an engine I decided to clean some more

Pulled the bed off and hosed it with degreaser.
VkKwhXr.jpg

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The under side is covered in oil and gunk.
bOsJC2w.jpg
The bed was full of trash and pine needles.

Propped it up for cleaning
zetpKjd.jpg

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final wash of the engine bay
Next comes paint
sJPlusD.jpg
Back cleaned up nice too
I am going to lift it up with the crane tomorrow and get under the cab.
xKUXrv7.jpg
Under the bed
Still gunky but getting there. My shoulder gave out so I had to stop.
YzdkP8m.jpg

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needed to clean the underside so the gantry crane lended a hand
QrM8GuU.jpg
Flipped the bed. Still have some gunk to clean off it
EmWJYM0.jpg
Better shot of the underside hosed down with degreaser, Bottom on the cab is nasty!
z6xzgfu.jpg
Do you endo?
1gMSfSa.jpg

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an engine for the 88 today. Compression and leakdown tests showed it has a blown head gasket or cracked head between cylinders 2 and 4. Not a big deal since I wanted to go ahead and do the heads any how and I have 2 sets of heads if these are cracked.
No pictures because I figured ya'll already knew what a nasty 350 looks like.

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hosed down the engine with degreaser.
It was super nasty
FuoSgY6.jpg
My son, Jared and I attacked the frame and engine compartment with Rustoleum rattle cans. Looks a world better.
vcBN4Ya.jpg
3oWk0F2.jpg
jygYCHC.jpg
9SPGdgG.jpg
sorKk2p.jpg

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other engine.

Did a compression and leak down test. Showed blow-by from cyl 3 to 5. I figured it was a blown head gasket - worst case scenario is a cracked head and I have 2 more sets. SO we (my son Jared and I) pulled it down. Here he was using a box for the pushrods
1FQwqs3.jpg
WXlfJKA.jpg
Decided to make something reusable

Took an old drawer and drilled holes in it. Covered the other side in a old metal sign. Everything is numbered. Super easy.
f7dR2cH.jpg
He was pretty proud.

This is the first engine he has ever had apart.
tUsxPSZ.jpg

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thursday the machine shop called and said the heads were cracked. NO problem I had another set in the shop. Had to dig them out and send them off.

Forecast is calling for monsoon weather so I figured I needed a dry place to work. The carport is full of tractor stuff so no working there.

Saw an ad on CL for a portable building. Got it up just in time on Sunday. It has rained ever since.
QiCGDJE.jpg

Last night I spent some quality time on Rock Auto ordering parts to put things back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent