Spinning the tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chetrick87

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the rear was rebuilt, did they change the ring and pinion gears by chance? Did you notice anything different in the way it drove after the repair?

Another post here reminded me of a car we used to have. It had Eagle GT tires on it and you could punch the gas at 45mph and the car would go sideways, spinning the tires. Once we switched over to BFG Radial T/As that all stopped and the car just plain hooked up and ran.

I reckon with a 3.73 gear that your rig has a 4-speed. Are those tires/wheels taller than stock, have much more roll out?

I have good year wrangler sra on them. All 4 brand new a few weeks ago wheb the rear was done. I believe the ring and pinion geaes were in good condition and were not changed but id have to check paperwork. It drives the same as it did before. It just seems not as fast. I got an email from black bear and they tild me i need to be running 89 gas and it shoukd run better as well. Just waiting for them to sebd me my tune i sent them the files a week ago so it should be soon

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Don't want to sound like a dick but what reason do any of us have to "spin the tires"?

As much money as we like to spend on wheels tires and everything else that goes into our trucks things like this just don't click in my head. I can see owning a sports car and maybe messing around some but unless have a built SUV for drag racing (which is another thing I don't get) or a sports car and you are taking it to drag strip then I don't really see the need for "spinning the tires". Waste of money on life of tires waste of money if something breaks, and waste of money when you get pulled over and get a ticket. O well, to each his own.

:2cents:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've had cars that felt fast but were slower than the more tame ones. My experience with Goodyear tires is that they love to spin and break loose compared with BFGs that just hook up and go. If the tires are taller or have more or less roll out than before, that will affect performance for better or worse.

Here's an example. I once put 275 wide drag tires with a 77" roll out. The car felt fast and even pulled a front wheel when launching but was much slower according to the in car computer and the drag strip. That's when I put the 235 BFG radials back on (82" roll out) and got quicker short times and a corresponding faster ET and MPH through the traps. Around 4mph if memory serves. The engineers designed the drivetrain around a certain combination of final drive and tire rollout to work best with the engine and computer settings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chetrick87

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't want to sound like a dick but what reason do any of us have to "spin the tires"?

As much money as we like to spend on wheels tires and everything else that goes into our trucks things like this just don't click in my head. can see o. Its ing a sports car and maybe messing around some but unless have a built SUV for drag racing (which is another thing I don't get) or a sports car and you are taking it to drag strip then I don't really see the need for "spinning the tires". Waste of money on life of tires waste of money if something breaks, and waste of money when you get pulled over and get a ticket. O well, to each his own.

:2cents:

Its not only about not being able to spin the tires. Its about feeling like the truck is losing power. I vaguely remember when i got the truck spinning the tires easily on accident when i firt got it because i was used to my slow ****** ford exploder.

OP
OP
Chetrick87

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've had cars that felt fast but were slower than the more tame ones. My experience with Goodyear tires is that they love to spin and break loose compared with BFGs that just hook up and go. If the tires are taller or have more or less roll out than before, that will affect performance for better or worse.

Here's an example. I once put 275 wide drag tires with a 77" roll out. The car felt fast and even pulled a front wheel when launching but was much slower according to the in car computer and the drag strip. That's when I put the 235 BFG radials back on (82" roll out) and got quicker short times and a corresponding faster ET and MPH through the traps. Around 4mph if memory serves. The engineers designed the drivetrain around a certain combination of final drive and tire rollout to work best with the engine and computer settings.

My tires are 275 60 20 so maybe thats part of the problem? And my lifters have started ticking recently so thats making me paranoid thinking my engines going to take a shit since transmissiom amd rear end were just done

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The taller the wheel with a correspondingly lower sidewall height will make for a stiffer tire more prone to wheel spin. A taller tire than stock will generally slow the car down, effectively giving it a higher (lower numerically) final drive gear ratio.

If you're worried about the motor, perform a compression test on each cylinder and see where they are at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne