Speedometer Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montegutman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Yukon XL LT K2500, 81,543 miles. Speedo quit working today. Gradually ramped up to indicated 120 mph while driving @ approx. 35 mph.
Searched online postings and found Many complaints of this and other instrument cluster gauge failures due to failure of the individual step motors that drive the gauges. Evidently, this has been a chronic problem with 2003-2004 GMC products, i.e. all GMC Brands - trucks and cars. Also found that GM issued a recall with a 7 year/70K mile limit on replacement coverage for the problem in 2003-04 model years.
Here is the problem: GM will not extend the recall coverage to other affected model years due to lack of complaints! If others are like me, I try not to have the dealer touch my vehicles due to excessive repeat repair fees. I have continuously owned/driven a Suburban/Yukon since 1972 thru all the trials and tribulations - and there have been too many to describe here. This current vehicle will be my last GMC Product. I will likely replace the Instrument Cluster with a Dorman Remanufactured unit from carid.com soon. Sad thing is the truck still looks in showroom condition and drives beautifully even with the many continuous incidental system failures.
Question?
Has/Are Anybody out there experienced/experiencing this speedo failure issue on other than 2003-04 model year GM Vehicles, and have you brought it to the Stealer to have it repaired/reported?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI there are other less expensive options out there. You can install stepper motors yourself and there are other vendors on EBay as well with upgrade options. Your rig is 12 years old, things will break.

thebestwebshop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue, I took out the old one and sent it to southern electronics, http://www.instrumentclusters.com/.

They sent it back with lifetime warranty on the motors. Been 4 years no problems. Don't recall the price, but they will tell you with a phone call. I do remember I was very happy compared to the GMC Dealer price.

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI there are other less expensive options out there. You can install stepper motors yourself and there are other vendors on EBay as well with upgrade options. Your rig is 12 years old, things will break.
Agree totally. Mine had been repaired once under warrantee. I took the opportunity to send mine out to have the transmission temp gauge added. Lights and stepper motors upgraded life time warranty. All for around $200. Gone for about a week, but vehicle is useable without the cluster. No reprogramming need, proper odometer reading maintained.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ship it to me, I can install all new stepper motors for $75. Hell, for $120 I will also go ahead and replace any burned out bulbs while I'm in there.

Mikelowery55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New here also. My speedometer isn't working, even after replacing stepper motors. Hooked scanner up while driving and it is reading speed on it. Anyone have a clue what else it could be?

2005 Tahoe LT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17