Speaker Install NNBS OEM Head-Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
vollosso

vollosso

Reaction score
Kudos for a clean install and SOLDERING and using the factory plug. Little extra effort is not lost on me!
Thanks dude. Its pretty second nature for me to do stuff "right" anymore.. always trying to show other people the light haha. This new ebay car build generation is pretty special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I wasn't always OCD about stuff, but after I worked on a few full out competition vehicles (SPL and SQ), I got really bad OCD. I can't stand to see wires unless there is no other way (there is always a way), my harnesses I make all are at least as good as the factory, and I reuse the factory connectors a ton, or at least make sure I don't just destroy them.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So these are 2 ohm speakers? I'm hearing if you go with 4 ohm the performance can be worst than OEM since they are not as powered?

OP
OP
vollosso

vollosso

Reaction score
So these are 2 ohm speakers? I'm hearing if you go with 4 ohm the performance can be worst than OEM since they are not as powered?
Its more complicated than that but in general a 2ohm speaker would be louder than a 4 ohm. But look at the speaker sensitivity too.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For someone trying to slowly upgrade their car (not get amps right away like you), what sensitivity should I aim for to get better results over stock if I went with 4 ohm? I just dont want to change them alone and find out my system sounds worst than before.

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low to mid 90s may satisfy your requirement, but there is no substitute for hearing this with your own ears. What sounds good to others may not be to your liking. Have any friends that have upgraded their systems, even if it is not on this platform that experience is better than just taking recommendations from people in my opinion?

As for the math, it goes like this. Doubling the power (or halving it) results in a 3 db change (generally considered to be barely perceptible). It takes a 10x power change to double of halve the output. So, all other things being equal, going from 2 ohms to 4 ohms would double your impedance and halve your power and reduce your output by 3 db.

If you still are looking for recommendations, take a look at the Infinity Kappa 62.11i. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086211I/Infinity-Kappa-62-11i.html They are 2 ohm and 95db sensitivity. I used the older .9 model in my Escalade and I really like them. Good luck in your decision.

OP
OP
vollosso

vollosso

Reaction score
For someone trying to slowly upgrade their car (not get amps right away like you), what sensitivity should I aim for to get better results over stock if I went with 4 ohm? I just dont want to change them alone and find out my system sounds worst than before.
Yeah good advice from skiddy. I would shoot for 90+. I think mine were 90-91. I listen around 30% vol on average never go much past maybe 75% as it gets pretty loud. Maybe i could db meter it..

OP
OP
vollosso

vollosso

Reaction score
So I took a video of a db meter while the radio playing but doesnt seem i can upload it to Tapatalk.

So ill make notes:

Car idling 60% air: 63.5db

country music, body like a back road playing.

20% volume 70db
40% volume 78-82db
50% volume 80-85db
70% volume 85-92

End of that song.

For those in question 92db is loud, its where some people would be uncomfortable. 60db is average conversation 100db is loud like chainsaw or so. Anything above 85db will damage your ears with 8hours constant exposure.. for example osha states hearing protection required above 85db.

Switched channel, to some pop song "i feel it coming?"

50% volume is around 82db
90% volume is around 95db
100% volume is around 98db

Minimal distortion with these front speakers even at 100%! Rears are dead so this is with the fronts only.

Enjoy!

Someone with a stock car and working speakers should download this db meter and do a similar test. Car is 20% louder with the aux connected. Couldnt very well record and play music through aux at the same time.
d3e082b882982daf6794dcf440d88b82.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission