Spark Plug - Torque Setting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
On my 5.7L, what is the torque recommendation for spark plugs?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Spark Plug Torque

Tighten 5.0L, 5.7L, 7.4L

• For new iron heads tighten the spark plugs to 30 Nm (22 lb ft) for 5.0L, 5.7L, 7.4L. Tighten 5.0L, 5.7L
  • For (IRON Head-all Subsequent Installations) tighten the spark plugs to 15 Nm (11 lb ft) for 5.0L, 5.7L. Tighten 7.4L
  • For (IRON Head-all Subsequent Installations) tighten the spark plugs to 20 Nm (15 lb ft) for 7.4L.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

you would be going for 11lbs.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
i go until the socket stops turning. lol some of them, im almost positive ill never be able to get a torque wrench in them..

But that reminds me, ive been looking for those badassss digital ones.. :hmm:

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
finished!!

The bastard for me was the one next to the oil dipstick...suprisingly all the ones on the driver side were pretty easy.

Whatever GM guy purchased those clips to hold the wires is jerk...some of those clips were facing the block making it impossible to open them!!! So, i didn't break any of them, just modified :)

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finished!!

The bastard for me was the one next to the oil dipstick...suprisingly all the ones on the driver side were pretty easy.

Whatever GM guy purchased those clips to hold the wires is jerk...some of those clips were facing the block making it impossible to open them!!! So, i didn't break any of them, just modified :)

I removed all those clips and made my own wire separators out of zip ties ... that way if they get broke or damaged I don't feel so bad either. LOL

I didn't have any issues torquing any of the plugs on my Vortec heads ...

triumph.man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing my plugs and wires, and in my wire set, there was an additional wire (really short, about one foot long) where the both ends of the boots look like the go somewhere on the distributor...

does anyone know where this wire should go from where to where?

Thanks in advance!

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I AM AN ADVOCATE of torquing things down to speck, but for some reason spar plugs is not one of them.

I know this is an oxymoron statement. But I am so damm afraid of snapping one in the block. I know torquing to spec will eliminate that but just my sense of touch and feeling thru my ratchet it safe enough for me.

kudos for a good question

ff40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts