Rod Knock or Collapsed Lifter or DOD failure

• Rod Knock

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Collapsed Lifter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dod failure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBucks

Reaction score
So as many know I just picked up this 2010 Cadillac Escalade after some lady hit me amd totalled my Denali... fml
Well its week 4 and Ive put a little over 3k miles on the Escalade and experianced a few hicups from the motor and a loss of power the other day getting on to the freeway. So thinking it might have been the tranny slipping I added some lucas to the trans and started going over the car. Noticed the front left strut is blown, the baer brakes are almost metal on metal and tons of rust underneath the Escalade. So I went to Baer got new pads added some lucas cleaned up a few things under the car and drove it around a little last night and everything seemed to be ok. Then today I went to the gym and then on my way home turning on to my street this loud knocking started and then caused my car to almost stall, oil pressure was at 22 when I check then went back up to 35 at idle but the knock was so loud and eventually the car died and didnt want to start again. Still turned over but no ignition. After a little bit it started but the knock sounded worse and louder so I shut it off and had it tower home.What do you guys think based off the video....

Buzzcut

Reaction score
Do you have any metal flakes in the oil? pull the dipstick and check. Sounds like a lifter as it doesn't go away under load.

OP
OP
TBucks

TBucks

Reaction score
sooo I let a little oil out of the engine and its full of gold flakes.... a rod it is yahtzee fml

Last edited:

Buzzcut

Reaction score
sooo I let a little oil out of the engine and its full of gold flakes.... a rod it is yahtzee fml

Sucks man. Now you have to decide which way to go. Rebuild the one you have or a low mileage pullout from a wrecking yard.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**** used. You have good known engine. Take it to a shop and get the cam bearings installed cylinders bored and decks plained. Add a cam and build a stroker. I know it sucks but the price for a new engine and a performance build is very similar. And a build is so much better

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a collapsed lifter, common on DOD, my 11 did it @70k, if thats the case, dont run, may save the cam, but do replace the Vloom(valley cover that controls the DOD and messes with the oil pressure...big job as heads have to come off...good luck

OP
OP
TBucks

TBucks

Reaction score
So ended up spinning a rod and main bearing do to oil pump failure. Had the vehicle shipped back to the dealership and they are replacing with a new short block at no cost to me. I want to build the motor but since the dealer is paying for all the parts Im just gonna sick back and let them replace everything that they need to. They are then gonna check the transmission after the rebuild is complete cause I felt it slipping the day before. The dealership is then giving me 12k mile 12 month warranty on engine and tansmission work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh