Sooooooo, I bought a PPV ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The steering wheel is worn out as well, the rubber is loose from the wheels frame up top. Any suggestions on a wheel to swap, besides OEM? If I get a wheel with radio controls will it work with the factory radio, or does the stock radio have to be compatible to? Assuming the full Bose swap should be plug and plug with steering wheel controls?
Not sure about other steering wheels, but I've read if your ride didn't come with steering wheel controls, you'll need to swap out your clock spring with one that had the controls. Then it's plug and play.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about other steering wheels, but I've read if your ride didn't come with steering wheel controls, you'll need to swap out your clock spring with one that had the controls. Then it's plug and play.
That would work out, the clockspring in this truck is quite noisy.

Anyone else read this too, or can confirm from experience?

Spanky

Reaction score
not true. I swapped out the original wheel for a leather on with radio controls...plug it in and it all works! The only time you'd need to change the clock spring is if you want to add heated wheel.
get yourself the d.i.c. switch too!

minig0d

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get a DIC switch for sure.

Rather than an iPod interface look on eBay for an unlocked head unit that has the USB input on the back. It's a direct radio swap with yours and you can plug in a male USB mini-B cable to USB female. You can plug your phone into it or a thumb drive and works perfectly.

If you're talking about those little rubberized panels on either side of the airbag, I believe they are available as replacement parts and don't require steering wheel removal even to swap out. I talked my dealership into doing it under warranty and they didn't change out the whole wheel, just those panels.

Console is really personal preference but you can pick up the Tahoe center bench seat/consoles cheap since a lot of people tank them out. The jump seat isn't very useful but the ability throw a locking safe under it (consolevault or locker down) is definitely nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
not true. I swapped out the original wheel for a leather on with radio controls...plug it in and it all works! The only time you'd need to change the clock spring is if you want to add heated wheel.
get yourself the d.i.c. switch too!
I stand corrected.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my .02

Black out the windows. Leave stock resonator, throw in a magnaflow and install a cutout. BB tune and you've got a really quick state trooper look-a-like.

I'm now finished with my unsolicited opinion.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a DIC switch for sure.

Rather than an iPod interface look on eBay for an unlocked head unit that has the USB input on the back. It's a direct radio swap with yours and you can plug in a male USB mini-B cable to USB female. You can plug your phone into it or a thumb drive and works perfectly.

If you're talking about those little rubberized panels on either side of the airbag, I believe they are available as replacement parts and don't require steering wheel removal even to swap out. I talked my dealership into doing it under warranty and they didn't change out the whole wheel, just those panels.

Console is really personal preference but you can pick up the Tahoe center bench seat/consoles cheap since a lot of people tank them out. The jump seat isn't very useful but the ability throw a locking safe under it (consolevault or locker down) is definitely nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the DIC plug and play also? I definitely miss that feature, even better if its plug and play.

And those trim pieces left/right of the airbag and worm, but the rubber wheel itself has separated from the metal frame at the top of the wheel, I guess from some white knuckle driving my SHP. Sounds like I'll just order a loaded wheel and be set.

People are pretty proud of factory consoles, they are from $400-600 on eBay.....but I know I'll need to suck it up since I do want one.
Just my .02

Black out the windows. Leave stock resonator, throw in a magnaflow and install a cutout. BB tune and you've got a really quick state trooper look-a-like.

I'm now finished with my unsolicited opinion.
I actually like the quiet/stealth of the factory system, at least for the moment. I am getting the front glass tinted 20% to match the rears, and the windshield done 40%. That will be done Sunday.

The bigger element of surprise from this questionable SHP vehicle while on the road will come when I get the train horns install. :) That might happen Saturday...

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go through the hassle of a bose install. If anything, run rcas to a 4 or 5 channel amp that can be mounted behind the ds side rear panel and run wires to the speakers, or run them from the amp and splice into the speaker harness behind the radio. If you want to be fancy, get a RF 3Sixty processor for awesome sound while retaining the oem radio. My $.02 in the audio side

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I got a DIC switch from ebay for 18 bucks, carefully cut out the opening with a dremel tool and used a 5 minute Gel epoxy to glue it in place, the regular epoxy is to runny and will get into the buttons, which renders the switch useless. other than that it's plug and play, the wiring is right there when you pull off the dash panel. or you can buy the whole panel from ebay but it won't be brushed silver.

The steering wheel new is about 200.00, I got a used one for 80.00. the side panels next to the airbag will peel off with you fingernails. there are other threads on this forum about that.I thought about getting some brushed silver vinyl from a sign shop and doing it myself.

The console I got was I think 359.00 and it's huge you could mount a gun safe inside if you wanted to.. You can also change out your over head console and get one with the built in garage door opener, I got one for like 80 bucks, cheap upgrades, but put the niceties of an LT model

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989