Some people should not work on trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

1_8TTony

Reaction score
So he gave you $1,000 total?
Yes....he gave me a total of $1,000

Funny thing though............on the day I finished his truck, I drove it to his house, saw a wrecked BMW (with front end damage) parked in his garage. The BMW looked really dusty. I ask him if it would still run. I ask if he might be willing to sell it and I also ask if it is on "Non-Op" status with the DMV.

He tells me it will run, but needs a battery. He says he's willing to sell it. He says it's not on Non-Op status because the registration doesn't expire until February 2017.

So I check out the BMW. He tells me that the radiator core support is bent and not repairable. I ask him how much would it take for him to let it go. He looks at me with a big smile on his face and says, "gimme back that thousand dollars".

So I give him back the money he paid me to install his truck engine and now I own the BMW.

I get the car home, planning on just using it as a parts car. I remove all the damaged pieces.......the core support is destroyed and (just as he said, it) is definately NOT repairable............but (to my surprise) it CAN be replaced!!!!!!!!!!. Once I got the broken lights and bumper (and a few other things) off the car, I removed 10 more bolts and the core support came right off the car.

I called a BMW parts recycler (90 miles away) and ordered a 2005 bumper, fender and hood in "stahlgrau" metallic grey which is the correct color for this car.......I told the recyclers I want the cleanest parts they have in thier inventory. And I'll pay courier service to deliver the body parts to my house. Total cost of parts: $336 delivered. Arrival time 7-10 business days. I figure I can piece the car together locally as time/money permits.

Wife says she desperately needs the car for around town, claiming her car (2010 Caravan) is a "gas hog".
My 17 year old daughter wants the car because her 1999 VW Jetta is "ugly and it's a joke at school".
My 16 year old son wants the car claiming that he's "becoming a man" and is "ready for the responsibility".

Fortunately, for me, the car has a manual transmission and none of them can drive stick. Looks like I'll be able to sell the car without getting the cold shoulder.

15203366_1183984291677746_7167080358944869171_n.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Freaking score!! Congratulations, you came out ahead on that deal I think. Don't wanna keep it?

OP
OP

1_8TTony

Reaction score
Freaking score!! Congratulations, you came out ahead on that deal I think. Don't wanna keep it?
No....I don't want to keep it......I already have a really nice blue BMW coupe with manual transmission. Here's a picture of it on my trailer........I hit a pothole driving 60mph and blew out both tires on the passenger side.

15317926_1187171298025712_4723443551486583730_n.jpg

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a BMW once...glad it's gone lol. But good score man! I say teach your son to drive stick. He'd be gettin all the "ladies" at school :D

eagle-co94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome deal in the end. I wish I had a boom truck to pull motors instead of my $150 Harbor Freight cherry picker. Thanks for the reminder of all the trouble I'm going to have pulling the locked up engine in my Caprice PPV.

OP
OP

1_8TTony

Reaction score
I had a BMW once...glad it's gone lol. But good score man! I say teach your son to drive stick. He'd be gettin all the "ladies" at school :D
The purple car in this old photo is gonna be his once he get's his drivers license......(but he hasn't made any progress towards that happening yet). The car is a wx3 Impala. This picture is atleast 2 years old. The car has been parked on the side of my house for the past year and a half. Interior is thrashed, paint oxidized and where it isn't oxidized, the clear coat is peeling needs cats to pass smog inspection. Has two flat tires. A real Gem. Daughter used to drive it when she first got her driving learners permit. The thing is virtually indestructible, but proved to be too powerful for her inexperience of driving. On 3 separate occasions she spun the car while getting on the freeway....you know like, accelerating speed to match freeway speed, transmission downshifts while rounding the onramp curve and traction breaks loose. Ass end comes around. Overpowered dinosaur. (sounds BADASS though, Sanderson headers, dual Flowmasters, an X pipe, no catalytic converters). After she spun the car the third time, The Wife went out and bought her a base model Jetta with 2.0 engine/auto trans. Impala has been parked ever since and placed on NonOp status with DMV.

10408516_787985134610999_7971755749736125854_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT