Some general AUTORIDE questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the process of fine-tuning my Belltech rear drop on my '09 with autoride.

At this point, I have the rear springs in with shock relocators and no spacers. I have the stock autoride links in (which I can't say have been altered or not from the first drop installation).

I am about to install the Belltech-supplied shorter autoride links.

My question(s): How, exactly, do the autoride shocks work? I know that the shocks air up when the truck senses that it needs to be raised -- but how do the shocks air DOWN? (I have found that the ideal rear wheelwell measurement to the ground is 36". I've measured the truck at 36", but measured it after driving last night to be 37-1/2".) Do the shocks just release air over time? Is there a purge after every drive cycle or something?

When installing the new links, should the air lines be pulled from the shocks to release the air, THEN the new shorter links be installed, assuming the truck will air the shocks back up (to a LOWER height than before)? Or, do I not touch the air lines, install the shorter links, and the shocks will just naturally find the correct, lower height after driving or some time or...?

I understand the airing up process -- I just don't fully understand the airing down process, especially when there's no additional weight added to the rear.

Thanks, folks!

/< / /2 /<

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
just talked to you on the phone think i answered your question fully

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure did, Tony. Before talking to you, I didn't realize that the autoride links were also responsible for letting air out of the shocks [as well as calling for air]. I knew they called for air, but wondered if they ONLY did that, and that the air escaped by other means over time or something.

Going to set the new links at 3.5", and we'll see how she sits from there.

Thanks again for your time.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick-'n-dirty (really dirty -- we're now back under some serious snow again) pic. Keep in mind that the parking lot was NOT level, so that's why it looks downhill to the right...

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 51

scottierass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why does my compressor purge often? When I turn the key on, the compressor runs for s minute or so to level, then I hear the compressor purge it's air and the compressor starts again. It just cycles like that over and over. Under pressure there is no leak except through the compressor vent, it actually releases air slowly, then purge and the vent takes in air when it starts again. Just want to stop running the compressor so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk