[SOLVED]Engine sputtering at idle AND speakers are popping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Hey folks -

Started the truck (2004 Tahoe Z71) a couple of days ago and found that the engine was sputtering at idle, during initial acceleration, and quite a bit more in reverse - to the point it almost feels like it's gonna stall out. Don't really feel the sputtering at speeds. Also, when at idle, the tweeters in the truck make a popping noise that is, weirdly, in time with the engine sputters. Ran the scan tool and am not getting any new codes, even after clearing the codes out. I did a cursory check under the hood and found that the #1 spark plug was wobbly, so I screwed it back in and figured that was the problem, but the sputtering and popping are still there. Gonna clean the MAF filter today and see if that helps. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Hey folks -

Started the truck (2004 Tahoe Z71) a couple of days ago and found that the engine was sputtering at idle, during initial acceleration, and quite a bit more in reverse - to the point it almost feels like it's gonna stall out. Don't really feel the sputtering at speeds. Also, when at idle, the tweeters in the truck make a popping noise that is, weirdly, in time with the engine sputters. Ran the scan tool and am not getting any new codes, even after clearing the codes out. I did a cursory check under the hood and found that the #1 spark plug was wobbly, so I screwed it back in and figured that was the problem, but the sputtering and popping are still there. Gonna clean the MAF filter today and see if that helps. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I changed the spark plugs and wires and cleaned the MAF sensor. Problem solved.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the cure. NOw for stats...how many miles on the engine, how many miles on the plugs and wires you just replaced, what did you replace with? OE iridiums? Thanks

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the cure. NOw for stats...how many miles on the engine, how many miles on the plugs and wires you just replaced, what did you replace with? OE iridiums? Thanks

+ Engine has 207,400 miles.
+ Plugs and wires had about 30-40,000 miles on them, and both were AC Delco OE (iridium plugs). I wasn't keeping meticulous service records when I replaced them last time, so the mileage on them is my best guess..
+ New ones are AC Delco iridiums and Duralast wires.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HSK76