SLP Resonator Delete Review on 2011 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoltz23

Reaction score
Well I finally broke down and a SLP Resonator Delete for my 2011 Z71 Tahoe.

This did not fit right out of the box because of the Z71 fender flares. The new dual tip contacted the bottom of the flare. I ended up cutting the bracket off the provided pipe and moving it up towards the front of the vehicle about 2". I was concerned about this before I cut the factory resonator off and because of that I left the factory pipe a little long just in case. I am very glad I did otherwise I may have been SOL. With the bracket moved up 2" the tip clears the fender flares. It does hang down a little lower than It should and I would like. next time I get the welder out i am going to shorten the SLP hanger so that it is closer to the bottom of the rear bumper. Photo's below show the interference before modification and as soon as i get it in it's final location i'll take some finished photo's.

I am pleased with the way the truck sounds especially at startup. It did change the overall tone of the truck once warmed up and when driving but as others have said it is very minimal.

I did send SLP an email to let them know that this product does not fit a Z71 without modifications but so far have not heard anything back from them. Their web site still shows it will fit all NNBS Tahoe's. I do not know if this would be an issue on a NNBS Z71 Suburban or Avalanche

http://www.slponline.com/product/31059--2007-2013-Avalanche-Tahoe-Suburban-Yukon-Yukon-XL-53L-Dual-Tip-Tailpipe-Assembly.html

IMG_20141112_215451_zpsad64fe3c.jpg

IMG_20141112_215550_zps3365f93d.jpg

IMG_20141112_215542_zpsb28bbdde.jpg

Irish83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good info! I have a 2011 z71 burb and plan on getting this. I'll be sure to leave a lil extra piping on when i cut off the reso just so I can make adjustments as you did. Thanks! I also wonder if anyone else with the z71 models ran into this problem...

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not just the Z71s hitting the fender/bumber area. I have an LT and mine wouldn't hang low enough. I had to have extra welded to the the hanger not to get it to touch the area.

gibbygsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine fit like doo doo, my father in laws hit on his suburban and my buddies avalanche hits as well. No QC at SLP apparently. Got a longer hanger for $10 on amazon and fixed all 3. Can't believe they're not aware of this issue.

NCTahoe

Reaction score
Resurrecting this old thread since I'm thinking of getting the SLP resonator delete on my 2011 Z71. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking if I just leave a bit more piping on the stock pipe, it'll fit but just be a touch lower and further from the bumper.

@stoltz23 can you elaborate on how you repositioned the hanger or do you have a picture?

OP
OP
S

stoltz23

Reaction score
NCTahoe,
We live on a dirt road and the truck is pretty dirty right now. I tried to see if I could get a picture of where the bracked used to be but its too dirty. I'll try to wash it this week and get some better photos.

NCTahoe

Reaction score
NCTahoe,
We live on a dirt road and the truck is pretty dirty right now. I tried to see if I could get a picture of where the bracked used to be but its too dirty. I'll try to wash it this week and get some better photos.

I'd really appreciate it! Thanks

OP
OP
S

stoltz23

Reaction score
NC Tahoe,
Here are the photos you requested. I never did go back and shorten up the hanger like I was going to. The only changes I made from the way this product shipped from SLP was to leave my factory pipe slightly longer than their instructions suggested and I moved the hanger forward between 1" and 2". In the one photo below you can see where it was originally (rusted vertical line) and where it is now on the pipe. All I did was cut off the hanger, put the hanger in the rubber insulator on the truck and then position the tip and SLP provided pipe on the truck where I liked it then tacked the hanger back to the tube, removed everything and welded it up. If i remember correctly I tried bending the hanger on the SLP Pipe first, but because my tip location is a good 2" back from where it was intended to go to clear the bottoms of the Z71 fender flares the rubber hanger insulator was at an angle and pulling everything towards the front of the truck. Because of this the exhaust system was all hanging by the rear insulator, as the next insulator up on the exhaust (i think it was right behind the muffler) was not carrying any of the weight of the exhaust any longer.

For anyone with a Z71 that knows they have to modify this kit to make it work it's still a good purchase if you have access to a welder. For someone that doesn't have access to a welder it may be cheaper or easier to find a good muffler shop and have them bend up a short piece of pipe and supply a tip. I debated going that route and just getting a single outlet tip but I liked the SLP tip and in the end even thought I had to modify their product I would do it again.

IMG_20151208_141049720_zpsp7w8kpff.jpg

IMG_20151208_141042341_zpswewawcda.jpg

IMG_20151208_141037578_zpsbjpxtgxq.jpg

IMG_20151208_141005465_zpsysczptdi.jpg

IMG_20151208_1409565291_zpslgzeahl8.jpg

IMG_20151208_141014839_zpsgmlxofmo.jpg