SilverStar Ultra Bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACE24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys need some input on the SilverStar Ultra bulbs. I ran thru 3 sets of these in my 09 Avalanche in about 18 months, all replaced under warranty. When I traded the Avi in for my 11 Tahoe, I put a set in it. After about 6 months, I now have a blown passenger bulb. I like the brightness of the bulb as I live in a rural area, but really 6 months? Any ideas or is 6 months about the life of these bulbs? Open to suggestions on different bulbs and exploring HID conversion kits.
Thanks!

Samuraj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops , I just installed set in my hoe
Better keep box and receipt ....
I had good experience in the past , driving , fog , bulbs , maybe your wires , did some one mess wit it ?

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per Sylvania, these bulbs will not last as long as oe. Says so on the back on the package even. Especially on vehicles which use them as a drl and they are on ALL the time. I've got a set in my 04, not used as a drl, but a fair amount of that is night time driving.
Some things to check: is the housing sealed correctly? I'm assuming yes...
Is the bulb being touched when installed? Again assuming not...
Is the wiring connector melted/look like its getting hot?
Depending on how many hours you drive in 6 months, that could be about right. I put probably 30 minutes a day worth of night driving on my truck, 5 days a week. If that gives you any baseline. And they have been going strong for about 2 years.

Side note: When i worked retail in the auto parts business, we sold these bulbs along with all of the others sylvania offers. People came in fairly often with blown ultra/zxe bulbs after 6-8 months bitching about how a $50 set of bulbs didn't last and demanding warranty. EVERY time it was a vehicle which used them as a drl during the day. Every time. More often than not I would recommend a refund, and buying stock replacements. They just last longer. As for hid I have no experience. Sorry.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Do you run them?

I did in a few cars but not the current ones. I had lows/highs in 95 Sierra, highs in 01 Yukon, highs in 98 Accord, and fogs in 11 G37. They were brighter than silvers and not one set blew and sold all the cars so can't say if they did blow. Ran them for several years no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout