Sidesteps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That post was from 2010 and that member hasn't been seen since 2013. I don't think you'll see a response!

any suggestions for polishing these aluminum rims? I can't tell if they are clear coated or not.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they're clear coated but if not I'd try Mothers. If they're cleared there'd not much you can do.

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try Forever Black dye tomorrow. It looks like the real deal for this.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the black plastic parts I used Krylon Fusion For Plastics in the matte black and 2 years later it still looks new. Running boards and bumper pieces were done.

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my write up on using Forever Black dye to fix old greying plastic. It's also posted as a thread in the exterior section of 07-14:

Forever Black (Black Dye) = Best Armorall Alternative for aged exterior plastic!

So I picked up some Forever Black from Autogeek.

http://www.autogeek.net/foreverblack.html

Which is a black dye for exterior plastic parts like running boards, grills, wind dam, luggage racks etc. etc. Unlike Armorall type products - this doesn’t need to be retreated every couple weeks. It looks to me like it will last a very long time - like many months or years. I put it on a week ago. And after some fairly substantial rainy weather it’s still holding up. And has made my greyed out, oxidized, aged 2007 plastic look almost new.

It’s a very simple process:

You wash all the plastic off with the included concentrated soap. It removes any silicone. Which the Forever Black will not set up on. I simply mixed a little bit in a spray bottle and used a wet rag to scrub it in. So it didn’t take much.

Then once rinsed and dried you simply apply the black dye with an included sponge brush. Which makes it really easy to apply. And it wipes off the paint if you over do it. You just use a wet rag to wipe up any excess. It wipes right off. I don’t think it would adhere to paint or clear coat. It then takes 15-20 minutes for the dye to dry and your good to go.

I was really amazed at how nice it made my plastic look after it was applied and dried. It really looks new. Not all shiny like from Armorall. But not dull either. Just like it’s new. The dye really penetrates into the plastic.

So for about $16 plus shipping. The one bottle will do 3 to 4 cars! Or I guess 3 to 4 re-coats if it was ever necessary. To me it doesn’t look like this stuff is gonna wear out for at least a number of years if not many months. Which makes it way less expensive than traditional Armorial type coatings. That have to be re-applied. And look hideous IMHO.

I think we’ve found the new go to chemical for aging plastic. I’ll include photos tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14